News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Spinosaurus locomotion type

Started by sauroid, December 31, 2015, 07:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

stargatedalek

I don't see why it couldn't have been a biped with small legs, between that very long tail and the thicker neural columns behind/over the hips it could probably have balanced despite such small legs.

I still feel that the animal, regardless of the myriad methods of locomotion it could have used, would be most comfortable as a quadruped.

*edit*

All this talk recently has inspired me to update my Spinosaurus skeletal(s). Between ever more controversy with the validity of Sigilmassasaurus and my own visual novel work I haven't done much in the way of Spinosaurus in some time despite all the attention. Nearly a year ago I made a set of skeletals ( http://pre02.deviantart.net/bc17/th/pre/f/2015/032/6/5/spinosaurus_skeleton_by_michell_vall-d8gb693.png ) displaying various hypothetical forms of locomotion for Spinosaurus, but they are frankly rather crude.

I use the 2014 publications of Ibrahim et al for the general proportions of my reconstruction, but I do acknowledge the case made by Evers et al 2015 arguing for the validity of Sigilmassasaurus as its own genus and against the use of the Ibrahim et al neotype remains in reconstructing Spinosaurus. However I will still maintain that the neotype it is still the best set of remains available to base a reconstruction of either species on.

Sorry for the rather garish colours, I intend to use this as a base for a fleshed out reconstruction and the colour coding is to display depth. If anyone would like it toned down I can of course oblige. My balancing is based on the thicker neural columns over the hips having a hump and the long tail being relatively thick. Which is why it doesn't lean backwards as you see in Andrea Cau's skeletal. It's based very much on being able to use it's arms for assistance as opposed to relying on them or outright avoiding them (as my previous reconstruction did).

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.