You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Redesigning a tyrant: Meet the new Tyrannosaurus rex

Started by sauroid, September 05, 2015, 08:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loxodon

The Saurian youtube channel just uploaded this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD8AIlm97lA

I must admit, I am very glad they did not go with roars or the like. They are a cliche, and highly unrealistic for an archosaur. It is clear that the Saurian team took this into account, basing the sounds off crocodiles and birds instead.

Gwangi

That is fantastic, everything Saurian is doing is just great. Wish the team they had could have worked on "Jurassic World".

Dobber

Wow! Did you see the flexing of the skin on the snout over the openings in the skull? That was fantastic. I feel like we are getting real close to what an actual Tyrannosaurus was like.  :))

Forgive me but I never did look into what Saurian is. Could someone explain?

Chris

My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

stargatedalek

Saurian is an open world ecosystem simulating video game, imagine something like Fallout or Carnivores, but instead of a gunslinger or a hunter you play as an animal, in a realistic and naturalistic setting.

Yutyrannus

Wow, those sound effects are absolutely perfect! I can't wait to see what else their new sound designer comes up with ;D.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Rain

Quote from: Loxodon on October 29, 2015, 06:40:56 PM

I must admit, I am very glad they did not go with roars or the like. They are a cliche, and highly unrealistic for an archosaur. It is clear that the Saurian team took this into account, basing the sounds off crocodiles and birds instead.

YES! I feel the exact same way. This team has definitely been doing their homework  ;)

Rain

I know that question isn't for me, but one thing I don't like about it is the lips. I don't know, it just looks kinda goofy to me. Guess I've gotten to used too the typical theropod "overbite" look

Patrx

Quote from: Rain on October 30, 2015, 07:40:48 PM
I know that question isn't for me, but one thing I don't like about it is the lips.

Interestingly, that's probably my favorite thing about the design! Somehow it just feels more believable, and, as was recently discussed in another thread, there's some good reasoning behind the hypothesis. Aesthetically, I guess I'm a little burned out on the look of the "theropod overbite"  :D

Rain

Quote from: Patrx on October 30, 2015, 10:27:29 PM
Quote from: Rain on October 30, 2015, 07:40:48 PM
I know that question isn't for me, but one thing I don't like about it is the lips.

Interestingly, that's probably my favorite thing about the design! Somehow it just feels more believable, and, as was recently discussed in another thread, there's some good reasoning behind the hypothesis. Aesthetically, I guess I'm a little burned out on the look of the "theropod overbite"  :D

Yeah I saw that, something to do with extant animals not showing their teeth right? Don't get me wrong it's a lovely design but I just can't bring myself to like those big ol' lips. (love how they're taking everything into consideration though!) To each their own I guess. And on a side note, this would make a great figure!  ;D

Plasticbeast95

Quote from: Loxodon on October 30, 2015, 06:41:14 PM
Quote from: Plasticbeast95 on October 30, 2015, 06:38:42 PM
Meh, its ok I guess.

What's wrong with it in your opinion?

The lips, I'm sorry but I cant help but see a cartoonish vibe with them. Like they were just added so that it could give facial expressions. I know that's not true, but I'm having flashbacks to Dinosaur and its lippy Iguanodons. They also look abnormally smooth compared to the rest of the head.

The feathers, or rather, its lack of feathers. Why is it that we get all sorts of "face fluff" for Dromeosaurs, but T. rex always looks like its all shaved up for the business meeting. Theropods always looked off to me when they would be all feathered up accept for the face. Almost like they are wearing a mink coat, bonus points if they have phesent-like neck ruffs. At least this one has "sideburns",  so its a step up from the rest.

The horns. Why? Did they thing that a fuzzy T. rex was too "cute", so they threw in some horns. I know T. rex has big ol' eyebrows, but this is the first time I've seen them exaggerated into horns. They just look kinda strange.

On the plus side, I like the sounds (although nothing in my opinion will top the JP roar, accurate or not) and the slight movement to the facial skin. And the feathers are less goofy looking than most CGI T. rex feathers I've seen.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.