News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Trike83's random photos NEW FROM PAGE 4

Started by triceratops83, December 28, 2014, 10:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triceratops83

Ammonite swimming around coral

Now comes the tricky part.

Loch Ness

Polly wanna cracker?

The first hatchling emerges

These damn things are always pinching my bait
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Halichoeres

New theory: pterosaurs went extinct choking on crabs.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

triceratops83

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 06, 2023, 08:39:35 AMNew theory: pterosaurs went extinct choking on crabs.

I'm now wondering if something like a Pteranodon would or could have picked up a crustacean and crunched it up - how powerful its jaws were? It's easy to imagine say, Dsungaripterus doing this, but were most Pterosaurs very specialized or were they prone to generalist tendencies? Most DO look like they were highly specialized for their particular lifestyles. Obviously a Petrodaustro or Anurognathus stuck to their niches, but could Pteranodon or Ornithocheirus have been more open to trying new things?
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

SidB

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 06, 2023, 08:39:35 AMNew theory: pterosaurs went extinct choking on crabs.
Distemper - became crabby?

Halichoeres

Quote from: triceratops83 on June 11, 2023, 04:15:59 AM

I'm now wondering if something like a Pteranodon would or could have picked up a crustacean and crunched it up - how powerful its jaws were? It's easy to imagine say, Dsungaripterus doing this, but were most Pterosaurs very specialized or were they prone to generalist tendencies? Most DO look like they were highly specialized for their particular lifestyles. Obviously a Petrodaustro or Anurognathus stuck to their niches, but could Pteranodon or Ornithocheirus have been more open to trying new things?

Good question! I don't know for sure, but long bills have low mechanical advantage, generally speaking, so I think they would be ill-suited to cracking crabs. Except at molting time, of course! But who knows, sometimes odd behaviors evolve that enable animals to eat things not obvious from their morphology.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Libraraptor

I like your approach of putting figures of extinct species into a recent context. Imagine someday we find a real Anomalocaris in a fishing net :))

triceratops83

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 22, 2023, 01:59:03 AMGood question! I don't know for sure, but long bills have low mechanical advantage, generally speaking, so I think they would be ill-suited to cracking crabs. Except at molting time, of course! But who knows, sometimes odd behaviors evolve that enable animals to eat things not obvious from their morphology.

Odd behaviours are the best behaviours! If they were around today, I can picture Pteranodons stealing fish and chips from beachgoers like the world's most intimidating seagulls.

Quote from: Libraraptor on June 22, 2023, 07:34:43 AMI like your approach of putting figures of extinct species into a recent context. Imagine someday we find a real Anomalocaris in a fishing net :))

I think I'd actually keep it. It looks like a tasty prawn and probably easier to peel.

triceratops83

Well, here's my entry from the contest - Leaping (Fish) Lizards!

triceratops83

Haven't been anywhere interesting lately, I just seem to be working a lot, so all of these are shot around my house yard.

Smile!

I brought you a stick, Mum!

Dusk

Roundup

Pursuit

That last shot I took in the duck pen, and I took a while to balance the figures and get the right angle, so I was pretty focussed for a bit. But then I noticed how quiet it was and turned to find my ducks were standing directly behind me and staring intently at the toy dinosaurs. I guess they thought they were some sort of small animals.

Halichoeres

I would not want to be the cowboy who has to lasso an Arsinoitherium!

Who knew ducks were so inquisitive? Well, you, a duck keeper, probably.

ceratopsian

Dusk is beautifully composed and lit. And I'm so glad you included the shot if your ducks!

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Omg Moscovies! I love em so much, they do tend to be quite curious animals, they like to just watch things.

triceratops83

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 18, 2024, 03:02:04 PMI would not want to be the cowboy who has to lasso an Arsinoitherium!

Who knew ducks were so inquisitive? Well, you, a duck keeper, probably.

A day or so later the ducks came to the kitchen door wanting bread, so I stuck the PNSO Alamosaurus in the doorway to get a reaction, and yeah, they were just spellbound.

Quote from: ceratopsian on August 18, 2024, 10:48:21 PMDusk is beautifully composed and lit. And I'm so glad you included the shot if your ducks!

Thank you! Although it took no effort - it was just me holding the toy against the sky.

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on August 18, 2024, 10:50:42 PMOmg Moscovies! I love em so much, they do tend to be quite curious animals, they like to just watch things.

They're really interesting pets with a lot of odd behaviours. One thing that irks me though is how fussy they are - they almost never try new foods, even things ducks supposedly love. And the difference between things they will or won't eat is razor thin - raw rice, yes... cooked rice, no.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.