You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

T. Rex Was Likely an Invasive Species

Started by sauroid, February 29, 2016, 04:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

Tyrannosaurus rex could possibly be the direct descendant of Tarbosaurus bataar, if they werent the same species at all...
http://www.livescience.com/53877-t-rex-was-invasive-species.html
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

MLMjp

Quote from: sauroid on February 29, 2016, 04:06:22 PM
Tyrannosaurus could possibly be the direct descendants of Tarbosaurus, if they werent the same species at all...
http://www.livescience.com/53877-t-rex-was-invasive-species.html

If this is true, then Tyrannosaurus rex was a mighty conqueror!! >:D >:D >:D

I do not know why, but this news makes me feel strange about my favorite dinosaur now. Now results that It could be a nationaliced american instead of a native one. How many little secrets is still keeping.

CityRaptor

Overwhelming the local species by sheer size and muscle.

Given what we know about the relationship between the three big Tyrants, it makes sense that one would be an invasive species.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stargatedalek

Honestly it doesn't make sense. Why would it's ancestors be native if it wasn't? If anything this would be presenting Tarbosaurus as the travelling species, but they are probably just an example of convergence between closely related species.

Gwangi

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 29, 2016, 05:03:00 PM
Honestly it doesn't make sense. Why would it's ancestors be native if it wasn't? If anything this would be presenting Tarbosaurus as the travelling species, but they are probably just an example of convergence between closely related species.

The hypothesis suggests that the closest relatives to Tyrannosaurus are Tarbosaurus and Zhuchengtyrannus. North America has its own tyrannosaurids but they're not as similar to Tyrannosaurus as the Asia tyrannosaurids.

stargatedalek

Personally I think we're witnessing a migration somewhere closer to Daspletosaurus and then the resulting convergence, but I suppose looking at the diagram again I can now understand where the idea is coming from.

Derek.McManus

Interesting idea, I like this concept dinosaurs spreading out and dominating the environment!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.