News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Hello from the Bay Area CA

Started by Redonix76, December 22, 2015, 06:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redonix76

hi guys,

I've been lurking around for awhile but haven't introduced myself. I'm a huge fan of dinosaurs and art. I'm an artist so i can appreciate what others are doing and showing on this great forum. I even got an awesome sculpt of a Deinonychus from someone here who started a kickstarter.

Although I'm not new to sculpting, I'm new to showing and selling my creations. Just wanted to say hi and get some advice of getting interests in what I'm sculpting and what you guys are looking for. I want to be able to share my creations of what i make and of what people want to see.

Thanks everyone!

DinoLord

Welcome to the forum! I look forward to seeing your sculpts.

Redonix76

Thanks Dinolord! Should I start posting on Classified?? I'm getting some interests from a few known outlets but I really want to make this awesome forum my home. Thanks!

PS: Here are 2 paint ups of my recent sculpt. Hope you guys like it. I'm not a paleontologist and my interpretations are from an artist view liking lol.

DinoLord

Excellent work! I'm usually not a fan of busts, but these look very natural and well-executed. The detail in particular is really great. Do you have any full-body sculpts?

The first paint-up especially reminds me of the Carnotaurus from Disney's Dinosaur. Overall the sculpt seems rather close to this popular stylization of Carnotaurus, which unfortunately is not perfectly true to the actual animal. The fenestrae (openings in the skull) would have not been so pronounced in real life, and their positions would have been slightly different. The ear opening would have been a bit further back in the skull, and the skull would be rather narrow and less wide. But still a very nice sculpt overall. For future works, consider carefully studying skeletal diagrams or photos of skeletal mounts, as many paleoartists (those who specialize in illustrating extinct animals accurately) do. There are a lot of nice resources, like Scott Hartman's site with skeletal and muscular diagrams. And there are many of us paleontology aficionados here on the forum who love seeing accurate dinosaur artwork and would gladly answer any lingering questions you have and provide general feedback.

No need to post in the classifieds unless you're actually offering items for sale. ;) If you just want to share your work, the 'Dinosaur art' subforum would be suitable, or maybe the 'Dinosaur toy lines' subforum if you have a whole line of sculpts planned. Either way, I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future!

Jetoar

Really beautiful sculpt friend, I have seen it in Dans Dinosaurs  ^-^. On the other hand, welcome to DTF friend  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Redonix76

Dinoloard -  Thank you so much for your comments and input. I have to agree it's not as accurate as it could and I was afraid that some will be put off by the differences lol. In the future I will have better references and take a look at all the options you've suggested. Also since I haven't sculpted in over 15 years, I wanted to start simple. I'm working on about 3 - 5 more busts to be available. I'm working on a Ceratopsian (secret) as we speak and will post the in progress photos soon.

Actually As you suggested, I think I will start a new post in the Classifieds to show people what I'm doing and also get input and even requests that could potentially be on sale. I'm looking to establish a line of busts before getting into full body sculpts!

Jetoar - Thank you for the warm welcome! You are correct, Dan is super nice to work with and he liked my sculpt enough to put it on his Dans Dinosaurs store! I feel very fortunate and proud of this. It all started in the past 3 - 4 days so it's still early and I haven' really advertised or anything.

Halichoeres

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

timchadwick12

Quote from: Redonix76 on December 22, 2015, 08:41:03 PM
Thanks Dinolord! Should I start posting on Classified?? I'm getting some interests from a few known outlets but I really want to make this awesome forum my home. Thanks!

PS: Here are 2 paint ups of my recent sculpt. Hope you guys like it. I'm not a paleontologist and my interpretations are from an artist view liking lol.

Hellloo and welcome to the Forum.

Your work is quite different and unique from rest of the artists. Here, You will find many creators who will appreciate your work.

Redonix76

Thanks again for all your warm welcome guys. So I've decided to post in the Dinosaur Kits section, since I'm showing my kit and hoping to keep posting new available kits in the very near future. Thanks!!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.