News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

My trip to Oxford

Started by tyrantqueen, April 17, 2014, 07:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Oxford University Museum of Natural History, to be precise. There was a lot of stuff to photograph, but I focused on the dinosaurs mostly. I wish I could have taken more photos but I wasn't able to.

Has anyone else been there, too?

Libraraptor

Great location, beautiful pictures! Thanks for - virtually - taking me with you on that trip!

tyrantqueen

docronnie

Thanks for sharing! Excellent shots,  TQ! 😊
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Gwangi

Very lovely museum. Can't help but notice yet another WWD inspired Lioplurodon.

tyrantqueen

Thanks guys, glad you like. Wish there were more museums near to me that I could visit :'(

postsaurischian

Nice place and beautiful photos :).
Yujin's Acanthostega was obviously influenced by this Oxford model.

Crackington

Lovely photos TQ. I visited the museum a couple of years ago when they had an exhibition of Chinese Cambrian explosion fossils. Halluciginea  was tiny and I was amazed that it had been spotted.

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 11, 2014, 05:44:31 PM
Thanks guys, glad you like. Wish there were more museums near to me that I could visit :'(

Me too, the AMNH is a five hour drive from me.  >:(

tyrantqueen

Thanks everyone. As well as the dinosaur mounts and models, one thing I really liked was the taxidermy that the museum had to offer. The Oxford museum has in its possession a dried dodo head and foot.

http://www.extinct-species.com/public/uploads/modal/a5ca38c2b7dcbdcf03823a2d308277fe.jpg

This fascinates me in a way. It's sad to think that these little scraps of bone littered across various museums are all that's left of an entire species, and how we lost an opportunity to learn about this strange bird when it was around :-\ The same goes for all man made extinctions.

suspsy

That looks like a much better dinosaur exhibit than the one at the London Natural History Museum. I wish I could have gone there.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

triceratops83

Wow, I wish I could live in that museum.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

PaleoMatt

PaleoMatt

Quote from: Gwangi on September 11, 2014, 12:16:38 PM
Very lovely museum. Can't help but notice yet another WWD inspired Lioplurodon.
It is home to everything from wwd including every prop :D

Tyto_Theropod

I've never been there myself, but of course I'd love to go! So many great fossils and casts. I love the models as well, especially the Archaeopteryx, and I WANT that Ichthyosaur! (Especially considering that I have some Ophthalmosaurus material in my  own, rather more modest collection ;))
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

DinoToyForum

If you're near Nottingham (or passing through some time) I'd be glad to give you the grand tour of the Nottingham Natural History Museum, Wollaton Hall, where I work. The same goes for all DTF members for that matter - a few have already visited. :)

Moodyraptor

Great photos.  I visited when I was very small, and coming face to face with that sperm whale jaw is one of my very earliest memories.

As a Nottingham local, I also recommend a visit to Wollaton Hall  :) 

tyrantqueen

Quote from: dinotoyforum on November 15, 2015, 04:58:00 PM

If you're near Nottingham (or passing through some time) I'd be glad to give you the grand tour of the Nottingham Natural History Museum, Wollaton Hall, where I work. The same goes for all DTF members for that matter - a few have already visited. :)
Very gracious of you, thanks :)

Viking Spawn

Older thread but a good one!  Another fantastic looking museum I'd love to see in person someday.  Thanks for sharing!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.