News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Alamosaurus visiting the Hell Creek Formation?

Started by Brachiosaurus, January 04, 2016, 01:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brachiosaurus

Hey I've been playing this game on Roblox lately Called Hell Creek where players get to play as dinosaur, and pterosaur fauna of the Hell Creek Formation. in the model tester game I've seen an  Alamosaurus model being worked on but its not on the list for the game. Long story short Does anyone else think that Alamosaurus may have been possibly seasonal visitors to Hell Creek or not?

PaleoMatt

At least one must have got there in the history of the earth.

Loxodon

Given how close the Hell Creek and Ojo Alamo formations are, it seems almost inevitable that at least a few animals must at some point have made it back and forth. However, we should be careful not to place too much importance on whether certain animals are found in the same formations or not, as at the end of the day, even if Alamosaurus never ventured all the way up to Hell Creek and even if several members of the Hell Creek fauna never made it all the way down to Ojo Alamo, there was inevitably a large overlap of faunas in the areas in between. Most large animals have a relatively universal range on their continents as long as the climate and habits are right and in the Mesozoic, while Hell Creek(Warm temperate) was definitely colder than Ojo Alamo(Subtropical/Tropical), the difference was not that great and the climate gradient between the two essentially ensured that nearly all of the animals from the two formations would coexist in at least some parts of their ranges.

So did Alamosaurus ever make it to Hell Creek? Maybe, maybe not, but regardless we can be almost certain that pretty much all of the animals from Hell Creek did encounter Alamosaurus anyway, so it does not really matter.

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 04, 2016, 05:27:31 PM
That seems likely.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/when-tyrannosaurus-chomped-sauropods-67170161/

This is a bit off topic, but the art they used at the beginning of that article is one of my all time favorite pieces of paeloart. As for whether or not Alamosaurus ever occurred in the Hell Creek Formation, Loxodon summed it up pretty well, but whether or not they were regular seasonal visitors to Hell Creek is a whole different story. We really have no evidence for this type of behavior in Alamosaurus, but it could be possible, seeing how we have some evidence from a few of its relatives down in South America showing that at least some sauropods had breeding sites that they returned to year after year. This type of behavior is highly variable between different genera however, so it may not have applied to Alamosaurus, and no evidence for such a site has been found anywhere near the Hell Creek Formation to my knowledge.

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.