News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Collecting Essentials

Started by CrypticPrism, April 02, 2017, 04:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrypticPrism

This is for those of you wanting to add some figures to your collection, although it's mainly for people who want to start one. These are figures that, in my opinion, are great for starting collectors.

Wild Safari: Feathered Tyrannosaurus, Feathered Velociraptor, Pteranodon, Diabloceratops, Archaeopteryx, Mammoth, Pterosaur

Carnegie: Brachiosaurus(2012 version)

Favorite: Triceratops soft model series 2, Stegosaurus soft model series 2

CollectA: Alamosaurus, Miragaia, Daxiatitan, Lythronax, Struthiomimus

CollectA Deluxe: Torvosaurus, Carcharadontosaurus, Thalassomedon, Smilodon, Spinosaurus(2015)

Papo: Allosaurus, Feathered Velociraptor, Polacanthus, Dimetrodon

Feel free to post the figures you think are ideal for budding collectors below!

"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

stargatedalek

If I may; I'd recommend the series 1 Favorite Triceratops and Stegosaurus over the series 2, both are more properly bulky and the Stegosaurus has its throat armor. Though in fairness I only own the second series because I preferred the overall species selection and I'm prone to customizing anyway.

The CollectA Guidraco is probably my favorite, but I'm more an extant person, so I've always loved the larger scale pieces.

ROM Olenoides
Kaiyodo Meiolania (Dinotales [there's also a model kit which sadly I don't own]), Archelon (CapsuleQ), Copepteryx (Dinotales), and Titanis (Dinotales)
CollectA Therizinosaurus, Kelenken, and Mosasaurus, of which I would say only the Kelenken I consider more or less flawless
Primeval (I forget the manufacturer) Raphus and Hesperornis
Safari Gastornis, Prehistoric Sharks toob, Prehistoric Sealife toob, and Prehistoric Crocs toob

Honorary mention for the Papo Archaeopteryx, but I wouldn't recommend it over the Safari or Favorite versions per-se. All three of them have upsides and downs both artistically and scientifically.

I'm a few years behind on most company's releases, been focusing harder on extant for a while.

sauroid

just one (spec. for the extinct cenozoic collectors):
Carnegie wooly mammoth
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Lanthanotus

Papo: Apatosaurus

Safari: Psittacosaurus, Deinocheirus, Nasutoceratops, Coelophysis, prehistoric plants (any)

Kaiyodo: Plateosaurus, Allosaurus, Carnotaurus, Sauropelta

Collecta: Mosasaurus, prehistoric plants (any)

Bullyland: Lambeosaurus

Kabaya: Seismosaurus (Diplodocus)

Shonisaurus

Of Favorite I recommend the version spinosaurus 2017 seems to me one of its better figures worthy to form duo with the spinosaurus Collecta, also the figures of the Cambrian are very exact and educative figures that if the colors of Favorite are very bright to me I like but each one Has your preferences.

Safari: I recommend giganotosaurus, feathered velociraptor, tyrannosaurus rex feathered, iguanodon, apatosaurus, postosuchus, sauropelta, gryposaurus, nasutoceratops, einiosaurus, coelophysis, archaeopteryx, dimorphodon, rhamphorynchus among other beauties.

Carnegie: my recommendation spinosaurus, brachiosaurus, diplodocus, carnotaurus, miragaia, ichyosaurus among others.

Collecta: I recommend spinosaurus 2015 (all three versions), tyrannosaurus rex feathered, carcharodontosaurus, guidraco (figure for me of the best that have been made in the toy market as for pterodactylus), megacerops, andrewsarchus (for me a very little figure Treated in the forums with respect to this company), daeodon, moropus, deinotherium, thalassomedon, pliosaurus, deinocheirus (the two versions), kronosaurus, nasutoceratops, dacentrurus among other figures.

Papo: I recommend the exceptional figure of spinosaurus (although the version is obsolete), acrocanthosaurus, ceratosaurus, ankylosaurus, pachyrhinosaurus, tyrannosaurus rex running (vastatosaurus) among other figures.

Bullyland: If you find I recommend the ankylosaurus (because of its rarity and difficulty to find) but as a saying goes in my nation "as you have them there are", parathypothorax, batrachonomus, arizinosaurus (highly recommended), brachiosaurus (latest version), lambeosaurus , Spinophorosaurus (figure highly criticized by me before and that looks better in figure than in photography available in Dejankins), mastodonsaurus and in general prehistoric mammals are good even though they have passed since they were released almost twenty years.

Battat: parasaurolophus, tyrannosaurus rex (although it has to be kept standing with a bra or yes), cryolophosaurus (of the best ever made in the toy market) and pachyrhinosaurus.

National Museum History: I recommend the ankylosaurus, corythosaurus (difficult to find but can be located in some eBay or Amazon store).

Invicta: I recommend everyone in general.

ToyWay: liopleorodon (discontinued figure and very expensive in the online stores), postosuchus, polacanthus, ophtalmosaurus and ankylosaurus among other figures.

Schleich: pentaceratops and kentrosaurus of the modern and ancient versions, the Humbodlt shonisaurus Museum, apatosaurus, brachiosaurus, desmatosuchus, among other figures and I also forgot macruchenia (a great figure)

Those are my recommendations ¡Ojo! Unfortunately they are very difficult many of them to find but it is not impossible to hundred percent.

Halichoeres

I gotta agree with star on the Safari Toobs, though I would expand it. I think the crocs, sharks, and sea life Toobs are essential, but I would add the feathered dinos and Cambrian life ones as well.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.