News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

best type of paint to cover discoloration

Started by sauroid, January 19, 2016, 11:26:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

what is the best paint to use to cover up (permanent) stains/discoloration? the type that is permanent/doesnt come off easily? thanks.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

smashtoad

Someone else may have a better solution, but my pick would be a high quality artist's acrylic.

tyrantqueen

Sand the area, then try a modelling/hobby acrylic. These work best because they tend to be high quality, have an enormous range of colour, and are formulated to stick to 3D surfaces. Suggested brands are Vallejo, Tamiya, etc.

Artist's acrylics are okay but you need to mix your own colours which can be tricky. They also don't tend to stick as well, because they are made for canvases, not 3D surfaces. They also need a LOT of thinning before being applied, because they are chunky and blobby out of the tube.

Avoid craft paint such as Rymans, Americana, Martha Stewart, etc. Generally the quality and coverage is bad and the pigment is poorly ground.

I would avoid other paint types such as enamels or oils. Just too much trouble. Enamels don't dry on soft plastic and laquers eat plastic.

Afterwards, sealing is recommended because no paint is permanent. Try a matt polyurethane varnish.

smashtoad

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 19, 2016, 03:42:36 PM
Sand the area, then try a modelling/hobby acrylic. These work best because they tend to be high quality, have an enormous range of colour, and are formulated to stick to 3D surfaces. Suggested brands are Vallejo, Tamiya, etc.

Artist's acrylics are okay but you need to mix your own colours which can be tricky. They also don't tend to stick as well, because they are made for canvases, not 3D surfaces. They also need a LOT of thinning before being applied, because they are chunky and blobby out of the tube...

Thanks for the head's up on the distinction between artist's and Modeling paints...I was unaware of it.

tyrantqueen

No problem...I have kind of an obsession with paint hehehe

stargatedalek

I typically use deco-art paints, the kind for wood and ceramics. These are still probably the second best option after model paints, but I recommend them since they are a lot cheaper and I've never had any issues if I apply a finish afterwards (since they rub off very easily).

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.