You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

My visit to the Naturkunde Museum Berlin (Natural History Museum Berlin)

Started by Erwinonychus, December 03, 2015, 11:00:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erwinonychus

Last weekend I had a citytrip in Berlin. Although I mainly was taking pictures in the city itself (like the German Wall and some relics of WWII), I did have some free time to visit the Berlin Natürkunde Museum (Berlin Natural History Museum).

According to CNN http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/16/travel/world-best-dino-museums/ it is the best dinosaur museum in the World. So expections were really high.

And my oh my, what gorgeous specimens they've got!!!!

At first, I just wanted to see the Berlin "Urvogel" Archeopteryx, imo the most beautiful fossil in the world.

Archeopteryx

Archeopteryx

This Giraffatitan or Brachiosaurus is the tallest complete dinosaur in the world (13,27 m or 43ft 6inch).

Dysalotosaurus

Elaphrosaurus

Erwinonychus

Stygimoloch spinifer skull

Allosaurus

Dinosaur teeth

Kentrosaurus

Diplodocus

Nothosauria

Erwinonychus

Pterosaurs, very tiny in real life

Homoeosaurus

Dragonflies

Marine life

Overall, an overwhelming museum. Especially the Archeopteryx and Giraffatitan are awesome.

If u ever come to Berlin, make sure u visit this museum!!!!!

Viking Spawn

Oh my!  I heard of this place and I'd love to visit it someday!  Please keep the photos coming!  I'd love to see more of it!

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Erwinonychus

Quote from: Viking Spawn on December 03, 2015, 02:38:19 PM
Oh my!  I heard of this place and I'd love to visit it someday!  Please keep the photos coming!  I'd love to see more of it!

We'll, since I've made about 1000 photos during my trip in Berlin, only a marginal amount is made inside the museum.

These are the pictures I haven't posted yet. All of my photos contain extinct animals. Not all of them are dinosaurs though.

Erwinonychus

Moodyraptor

Fantastic photos!  I was lucky enough to go earlier this year, and it blew my mind.  Apart from the dinosaurs, my favourite part was the wet collection - a room full of specimen jars, reaching up to the ceiling, casting beautiful yellow colours and lights.  I could have spent hours in there.  My only complaint was I was with a friend who is somewhat less into dead stuff than me so out of politeness I couldn't spend all day there!   

Lanthanotus

Been a long time since I've been last there, but it seems not that lot has changed. They have rearranged the Giraffatitan it seems, still call it Brachiosaurus tho.

Thanks for sharing the photos :)

Erwinonychus

Quote from: Moodyraptor on December 03, 2015, 03:41:51 PM
Fantastic photos!  I was lucky enough to go earlier this year, and it blew my mind.  Apart from the dinosaurs, my favourite part was the wet collection - a room full of specimen jars, reaching up to the ceiling, casting beautiful yellow colours and lights.  I could have spent hours in there.  My only complaint was I was with a friend who is somewhat less into dead stuff than me so out of politeness I couldn't spend all day there!

I think you mean these:

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

citizen5

we are almost there, I was with my family on November 23, were visiting Berlin for a week. I loved the central room with dinosaur fossils, but the rest of the museum disappointed, perhaps because it is in restoration of the building. Many rooms closed. I have seen the London and Vienna, and both are better.
Maybe in a few years when the renovations are complete it is a great museum of natural history.

Crackington

Great snaps! I visited the museum a number of years ago and its really good. The brachiosaurus - sorry, can't get used to calling it giraffatitan - is amazing and certainly induces a Laura Dern jaw drop when you see it. Agree that the archaeopteryx is the most beautiful of fossils too. Would live to go back one day.....

Erwinonychus

Quote from: citizen5 on December 08, 2015, 04:48:05 PM
we are almost there, I was with my family on November 23, were visiting Berlin for a week. I loved the central room with dinosaur fossils, but the rest of the museum disappointed, perhaps because it is in restoration of the building. Many rooms closed. I have seen the London and Vienna, and both are better.
Maybe in a few years when the renovations are complete it is a great museum of natural history.

Yes indeed, they're still restoring the building. But in three days they're opening their new (temporarely) exhibition with T-rex Tristan from the USA. Unfortunately, I visited it three weeks earlier ☹️.

Maybe I will visit the museum again next year

Libraraptor

I´vee been there twice, once before the new renovation and once after its renovation.
Both times it was a great experience and I´d love to go there again. But I live 500 or so kilometres northeast from Berlin, so it needs planning and being embedded into a greater trip.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.