News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Zoo Tycoon 2 dinosaur zoo

Started by Nanuqsaurus, March 22, 2016, 06:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanuqsaurus

Hey everyone! I'm not sure if this is the right place for this kind of thing (maybe this topic can be moved if it isn't?), but I wanted to show you my Zoo Tycoon 2 dinosaur zoo I'm currently working on. If others on this forum also play Zoo Tycoon, and want to show their zoo's, I don't mind if you post them here as well. I'd love to see them!

My zoo is called Dinosauria Europa. I also made a zoo called Dinosauria Africa before, but it crashed because of the ammount of mods I used :-[ Maybe I'll remake it sometime soon.
Anyway, this zoo mainly focuses on scientific accurate dinosaurs, and I also try not to use too many ''Jurassic Park dinosaurs'', so no famous dinosaurs like Tyrannosaurus, Stegosaurus or Triceratops. I try to use lesser known dinosaurs. However, I have to rely on mods for scientific accurate dinosaurs, so sometimes it's hard to find the right ones. This zoo is also meant to look like a real zoo, with the dinosaurs as animals, not as theme park monsters. The name Dinosauria Europa is just because the zoo is located in Europe, not because it only uses European dinosaurs. Besides dinosaurs, there may also be some other prehistoric animals in the park soon. All animals are from the Mesozoic however.

But enough talk, come join me on a tour through Dinosauria Europa!

This is the main entrance, I took this screenshot not long after I started this zoo, so it's still kinda empty here. There are more plants and buildings now.

The administration building:

The meeting room in the administration building:

The entrance seen from the administration building:

Gift shop:

Restaurant:

On this last screenshot, you can see a hint of what kind of dinosaurs you can expect to see. This is just a statue however, and the actual dinosaurs are a bit smaller...
Let me know if you'd like to see more of this zoo! If there is interest in this kind of thing, I'll show some dinosaurs next time. Any feedback would be welcome! :D

DinoLord

Very nice. I used to love Zoo Tycoon 2 when I was younger, and the many available mods made it even better. However my computer at the time did not like having to handle them all so game performance was rather wanting. Looks like the modding community has not slowed down at all in the few years since I stopped playing regularly.

PaleoMatt

I play this game too and may i ask how are you getting custom entrances working? I have the mod but I can't delete the actual entrance.

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: TE Matt on March 23, 2016, 04:39:10 PM
I play this game too and may i ask how are you getting custom entrances working? I have the mod but I can't delete the actual entrance.

I didn't delete the actual entrace, it's still there but you just can't see it on the screenshots! :P However, I'm sure there are hacks for that. I found one at this site: https://collarsmods.wordpress.com/hacks/. Not sure if it still works. I also found one here: http://z14.invisionfree.com/ZT2_Designing_Center/index.php?showtopic=3934. I hope you can find a working one!

Here are some more screenshots of my zoo, this time with some actual dinosaurs! :))

According to the creator of this mod, this statue is called ''Tyrannosaurid statue.'' I'm not sure which Tyrannosaur it's meant to represent, but I like to think it's Daspletosaurus.

Next to the statue is the entrance to the first theme zone of this zoo. It's based on a location where you wouldn't really expect to find dinosaurs, as dinosaurs are often shown living in tropical areas. But in this zoo, I want to show that dinosaurs were a very diverse group of animals who lived in many different climates. Welcome to Cretaceous Alaska, home ot the northernmost dinosaurs!

I think the tundra style items really fit this theme zone. I know even Alaska probably wasn't as cold as it is now, but it was still far up north and snow wasn't uncommon. Anyway, let's move on to the first dinosaurs of this zone. You could kinda guess it, of course it's Nanuqsaurus hoglundi!

Nanuqsaurus is one of my favorite dinosaurs (if you hadn't noticed yet :P), so of course it needs a place in my zoo. I think the creator of this mod has done an outstanding job making this arctic tyrant! I love the model and color, it's just great. :D This zoo has one pair of Nanuqsaurus, they're called Blizzard (m) and Snow (f).

And here is our beautiful pair in their tundra-like enclosure. Their actual biome in-game is montane, but I used tundra and boreal forest foliage because it fits the theme and looks so much better:

The second enclosure of the Alaska theme zone contains only herbivores. So far, it has only one species, but a second species is expected to arrive soon. If Nanuqsaurus is a Mesozoic polar bear, this is the equivalent of a musk ox. This is Pachyrhinosaurus perotorum! Dinosauria Europa currently has three Pachy's. On the screenshot you can see our bull, Denali:

That's all I have for now. i'm kinda busy these days, so I don't know if I can show many updates. Next time, you can expect a second herbivore in the Alaska area and I'll show some of the scenery in that theme zone. Maybe a new theme zone too, but I'll have to see if I have time for that.

Nanuqsaurus

Here's some more screenshots of Dinosauria Europa! Sadly I haven't really had any time to play Zoo Tycoon and expand the park, so I'm afraid I don't have much to show you yet. As for now, I have a few more pictures of the Alaska theme zone and a new theme zone! :)

The other side of the Nanuqsaurus exhibit, with some tundra style scenery:

One of our two Pachyrhinosaurus cows, they're called Kinley and Juneau. Pachyrhinosaurus is my favorite ceratopsian, and I'm happy to have such beauties in the park!

A second herbivore dinosaur species has arrived in the Alaska theme zone, they share their exhibit with our Pachy's. These two armored beasts are Edmontonia longiceps!

As far as I know, Edmontonia fossils haven't really been found in Alaska, but they did share their habitat with Pachyrhinosaurus in Canada, so at least they could've met.

The indoor part of the Alaskan herbivores exhibit. Visitors can't go in here.

Now it's time to leave the cold forests and tundras of Alaska, and head to our new theme zone. This zone consists of a large building, but it isn't finished yet. Rather than based on a location and era, this theme zone is dedicated to Chinese feathered dinosaurs from all time periods. One of the planned dinosaur species doesn't have feathers however, but you'll see that in the next update. For now, I can only show you some hints of what to expect. Here's the entrance, guarded by two statues of the magnificent Therizinosaurus cheloniformis!

Now you can see this is going wrong already. Therizinosaurus was found in Mongolia, not China. But the statue is really cool. However, things didn't really go as intended, so more things went wrong. The first exhibit of this theme zone contains another Mongolian dinosaur. I also swore not to use any too famous dinosaur species, but I failed at that as well. I actually wanted to use Linheraptor exquisitus, a Chinese dromaeosaur, for this exhibit. The Linheraptor I downloaded might have been the reason a previous zoo crashed and the save file got corrupted. I didn't want to take that risk again, so instead I got Velociraptor mongoliensis. Yup, that's pretty much one of the most famous dinosaurs ever. The Velociraptor remake I downloaded is very beautiful and scientifically accurate however, so it's not a JP-style dinosaur.

I'm not really happy with the Velociraptor exhibit however, so maybe it'll look completely different next update. I also want to test if the Linheraptor really caused the previous zoo to crash, if not, then Linheraptor will replace Velociraptor anyway. Next update I'll also show more of the ''Feathers of China'' theme zone. Hope you liked it! :D

CMIPalaeo

Looking amazing! ZT2 is my favourite computer game, I can't wait to eventually get set back up on a proper desktop that can do it justice...

Who made the Nanuqsaurus?
Once a man is tired of dinosaurs, he is tired of life; for there is in a dinosaur all that life can afford.

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: CMIPalaeo on April 13, 2016, 03:56:36 AM
Looking amazing! ZT2 is my favourite computer game, I can't wait to eventually get set back up on a proper desktop that can do it justice...

Who made the Nanuqsaurus?

Thanks! :)) Despite its age, ZT2 is still a favorite of mine as well. If you want to smoothly run a modded version like this, you indeed need to get a good desktop computer. I have a pretty decent gaming pc, but sometimes it has still trouble running large zoos. Of course it would run a lot better if I hadn't modded my game so much... but I just can't build the ultimate zoo without! :P The Nanuqsaurus was made by Tyranachu, he also made some other realistic dinosaurs, as well as Jurassic Park dinosaurs. If you're looking for a ZT2 mod, there's a very useful site with a database full of mods and where to find them. Check it out, it's really useful! http://zt2downloadlibrary.wikia.com/wiki/ZT2_Download_Library_Wiki

CMIPalaeo

Very nice! I think I've got a few of Tyranachu's mods in my game.
Once a man is tired of dinosaurs, he is tired of life; for there is in a dinosaur all that life can afford.

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Nanuqsaurus

I'm afraid there aren't going to be any more updates from this zoo. Used too many mods again, game crashed after about 30 seconds everytime I loaded this zoo. Removing some  mods didn't work, so I decided to delete the save file and removed all the mods. I might build another dinosaur zoo later, but right now I'm done with dinosaur zoos for a while. :P