News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Taxidermy Eyes

Started by Droemar, March 03, 2016, 02:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Droemar

I have seen quite a few of these employed for a nice effect on dinosaur models. My problem is I don't even know where to begin. Ebay's got plenty, but what's the right size?
I'm mostly working in larger scale, 1:6, 1:10, 1:15, 1:18, and 1:20. Is there a corresponding measurement in millimeter for the taxidermy eyes?
I'd like to avoid buying a whole bunch and seeing what fits, but I'm afraid that's what I'm going to have to do.
I've installed glass eyes on dolls, but if there's a particular technique I am also interested in that.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Droemar on March 03, 2016, 02:45:59 AM
I have seen quite a few of these employed for a nice effect on dinosaur models. My problem is I don't even know where to begin. Ebay's got plenty, but what's the right size?
I'm mostly working in larger scale, 1:6, 1:10, 1:15, 1:18, and 1:20. Is there a corresponding measurement in millimeter for the taxidermy eyes?
I'd like to avoid buying a whole bunch and seeing what fits, but I'm afraid that's what I'm going to have to do.
I've installed glass eyes on dolls, but if there's a particular technique I am also interested in that.

Glass eyes like those from Vandykes Taxidermy and Tohickon Glass Eyes do come in millimeter sizes.  What you need to do to take a ruler with millimeter measurements on it and check your model to see what will fit. Bear in mind the flesh over an eye will cover some of it.   

Usually with resin models you will drill out the sculpted eye, insert the taxidermy one and then resculpt the eyelids back over it.

nwfonseca

I would measure the eye socket/ eyeball of the model you are doing to narrow down the suspects. From there you could order one size up and one size down from what you think it would be. I assume after doing a couple that you would get a feel for the "right" size. I agree with Vandykes and Tohickon. I used them when I did glass eyes. i do have a bunch of extras from trying to find the right fit, but they are pretty cheap. 6-10 mm would probably work good as a starting point for 1:6 scale. 6-7 is what I used as a base for my 1:5 Deinonychus. It is like 1.90 a piece for 6mm. I assume if they aren't jacked up you could probably do a return "if the shipping is worth it. You could always sculpt a many eyed creature with the extras you have haha. You could pre-grind out the eyes and roll a ball of clay to the right size and measure that as well. Oh, the flint color eyes are clear and you can paint them any color you like.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Man I wish my errors were that cheap..lol

Extra eyes are always fun to play with! ;)

Droemar

Sweet! That's great advice. I've got a couple of models on their way, so I'd like to give them a try. I'm not a stranger to Dremeling or Apoxie sculpt, either.
I assume the eye is best anchored with Apoxie Sculpt on the inside of the head? I can see super glue dripping on the surface of the glass and not going well.
And this would also be after mod, is not all painting was done? Or do you just mask the eye?

DinoToyForum

At our museum we use a freelance taxidermy conservator. Next time I see him, I'll ask if he has any advice about glass eyes. I know he recently ordered some giraffe eyes, for example, so I can ask where he gets them. :)

stargatedalek

Sorry to hijack this thread but I figure I might as well ask does anyone know any good sources to order glass eyes online? I now know what brands to look for but where should I buy them?

Dan

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 04, 2016, 02:28:25 AM
Sorry to hijack this thread but I figure I might as well ask does anyone know any good sources to order glass eyes online? I now know what brands to look for but where should I buy them?

Martin Garratt orders glass eyes for his buildups from this UK-based company:

http://www.glasseyes.com/

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Droemar on March 03, 2016, 11:14:46 PM
Sweet! That's great advice. I've got a couple of models on their way, so I'd like to give them a try. I'm not a stranger to Dremeling or Apoxie sculpt, either.
I assume the eye is best anchored with Apoxie Sculpt on the inside of the head? I can see super glue dripping on the surface of the glass and not going well.
And this would also be after mod, is not all painting was done? Or do you just mask the eye?

You can keep backed in with Apoxie or a gel based super glue.   eye installs are done usually before painting. yes i just use tape over the eye while painting.

nwfonseca

I would really just shop around. Just google glass taxidermy eyes and look for whatever ones suit you0 I think they are all pretty comparable to each other in quality and price. I buy mine from Van Dykes, but it was merely chance that I do. I just happened to receive Van Dykes catalogs in the mail because the former owner of my house used to get them. I recalled seeing glass eyes in there and ordered from them. They ended up doing 2 sets of custom eyes for me and they were super cheap and looked great. From then on, I just kept going to them. 

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: nwfonseca on March 06, 2016, 08:49:25 PM

I would really just shop around. Just google glass taxidermy eyes and look for whatever ones suit you0 I think they are all pretty comparable to each other in quality and price. I buy mine from Van Dykes, but it was merely chance that I do. I just happened to receive Van Dykes catalogs in the mail because the former owner of my house used to get them. I recalled seeing glass eyes in there and ordered from them. They ended up doing 2 sets of custom eyes for me and they were super cheap and looked great. From then on, I just kept going to them.

Do you ever have delays with them?  I found out that Van Dykes stocks most of their eyes from Tohickon.  I've ordered custom eyes from them several times, usually take a month or two to receive them though..and they never notify you to tell what's in stock or what has to be made.

nwfonseca

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 07, 2016, 03:02:31 AM

Do you ever have delays with them?  I found out that Van Dykes stocks most of their eyes from Tohickon.  I've ordered custom eyes from them several times, usually take a month or two to receive them though..and they never notify you to tell what's in stock or what has to be made.

No, never had any delays with Van Dykes. I don't believe the custom eyes took more than a couple of weeks. Definitely not more than a month. They were very nice and communicated with me quite well. My old life size Velociraptor has those custom painted eagle eyes in it. They look lovely. Of course I talked directly to a person when I ordered so I knew exactly what I needed. Also, my eyes were a standard size so they didn't have to actually create a new eye from scratch. I'm assuming if the eye diameter were larger than what would normally be seen in their catalog they would have to create them from scratch, and I would assume a longer lead time. Mine were just custom painted. All of my orders for ordinary small eyes arrived within 3-5 business days. Also, I've never seen the limbus band on Tohickon website.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: nwfonseca on March 07, 2016, 05:01:22 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 07, 2016, 03:02:31 AM

No, never had any delays with Van Dykes. I don't believe the custom eyes took more than a couple of weeks. Definitely not more than a month. They were very nice and communicated with me quite well. My old life size Velociraptor has those custom painted eagle eyes in it. They look lovely. Of course I talked directly to a person when I ordered so I knew exactly what I needed. Also, my eyes were a standard size so they didn't have to actually create a new eye from scratch. I'm assuming if the eye diameter were larger than what would normally be seen in their catalog they would have to create them from scratch, and I would assume a longer lead time. Mine were just custom painted. All of my orders for ordinary small eyes arrived within 3-5 business days. Also, I've never seen the limbus band on Tohickon website.

My Triceratops eyes took about 2 months. My last complete order in December was 1 month, this current one is approaching 2 months now for the Spinosaurus and Tupuxuara eyes, but those were standard catalog sizes albeit on the large side.  I love the fact they hand blow the glass for their eyes and bake the colors in to avoid uv damage but they do seem to take longer then.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.