News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What glue to use?

Started by stoneage, May 30, 2016, 01:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoneage

:)  I was wondering if anyone can tell me what glue would be best to glue Miller dinosaurs back together?  Also what about old lead metal figures?

Archinto

Ythe only way to properly repair a miller is to weld the pieces back together with heat and use epoxies and colored resins for fills.

But for a quick bond tha will hold it together the only glue i have found that works is Loctite plastics bonder. Its a two part system with a catalyst pen and super glue. Its a weak bond, but still a bond on what is truly unbondable plastic. It will only break free if you force it to. If a part de bonds you just pick the glue of and glue it again. I have several millera ive repaired with this stuff with awesome results. Take a look at my collection thread to see photos of the repairs i did on mine. (Aside from the brown silicone repairs fromthe original owner)

Fast cure superglue works grea on lead figures. I used that when i used to do d&d figures

I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

stoneage

Quote from: Archinto on May 30, 2016, 07:24:54 AM
Ythe only way to properly repair a miller is to weld the pieces back together with heat and use epoxies and colored resins for fills.

But for a quick bond tha will hold it together the only glue i have found that works is Loctite plastics bonder. Its a two part system with a catalyst pen and super glue. Its a weak bond, but still a bond on what is truly unbondable plastic. It will only break free if you force it to. If a part de bonds you just pick the glue of and glue it again. I have several millera ive repaired with this stuff with awesome results. Take a look at my collection thread to see photos of the repairs i did on mine. (Aside from the brown silicone repairs fromthe original owner)

Fast cure superglue works grea on lead figures. I used that when i used to do d&d figures

I have a Miller Stegosaurus with the thagomizer broken off.  It fits together well but the underside of the tail wax is missing.  If glued together though it would display well and the missing piece would only be noticed if picked up.  Right now I have Gorilla Super Glue Gel.
Is this usable or do I need the Loctite?

By the way nice Miller collection.

Archinto

You can use any brand of super glue with the loctite plastics bonder, but its the catalyst pen from that loctite kit that you need. Comes in a purple package, and available at retail stores. Its cheap. The stegosaurus tail has a hollow underneath it normally if I remember right. Id have to look at my stegosaurus againto be sure. My stego got damaged in storage and his tail is broken between the spikes. This glue kit holds miller plastic really well. Without the catalyst, no glue will bind to that plastic.

And thanks for the kind comments! I truly cherish my millers and hope to get a brontotherium someday to complete my large figure set. Not too into gettingthe small figures unless I find some out there for a deal.
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.