You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Pregnant T. rex may contain the holy grail of all dinosaur fossils: DNA

Started by sauroid, March 16, 2016, 10:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

A pregnant Tyrannosaurus rex has been found, shedding light on the evolution of egg-laying as well as on gender differences in the dinosaur.

http://mashable.com/2016/03/15/pregnant-t-rex-dna/#WjHUyhltL5q5
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tyrantqueen

CityRaptor

So maybe we will soon know if Sue is really female or "A boy named Sue" is the case.

I also expect comments about Jurassic Park on a few sites.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SBell

The one thing I didn't understand--why would there be genetic material/DNA just because there is medullary bone? Although it sounded like the author asked the question, but didn't get much of an answer--still, good enough to put in the headline.

And why 'pregnant'? Maybe 'gravid' or 'fertile' or 'fecund' or 'in-season'.

PaleoMatt

This is proving to be a great year already! Now we need dem feathers!

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on March 16, 2016, 07:50:24 PM
The one thing I didn't understand--why would there be genetic material/DNA just because there is medullary bone? Although it sounded like the author asked the question, but didn't get much of an answer--still, good enough to put in the headline.

I think it's because marrow has an unusually high quantity of DNA--in fact it's one of the few places where bone has any DNA at all. It's where blood cells are manufactured, so it's undergoing more cell division than almost any tissue, other than fast-rotting kidney or liver tissue. And of course, in archosaurs, unlike in mammals, the red blood cells have nuclei! I would guess chances are still pretty damn slim, but it's a better chance than, you know, amber.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 16, 2016, 08:27:51 PM
Quote from: SBell on March 16, 2016, 07:50:24 PM

I think it's because marrow has an unusually high quantity of DNA--in fact it's one of the few places where bone has any DNA at all. It's where blood cells are manufactured, so it's undergoing more cell division than almost any tissue, other than fast-rotting kidney or liver tissue. And of course, in archosaurs, unlike in mammals, the red blood cells have nuclei! I would guess chances are still pretty damn slim, but it's a better chance than, you know, amber.

I think the most important part to that is that the answer was artfully dodged with a 'we're still looking at it'. I'm guessing that the medullary bone was considered exciting enough. Except for the article author.

amargasaurus cazaui

This is also hardly groundbreaking up to the minute news either, this information has been around and had been published at least a few years back.It appears a tad...sensationalized..hence the term pregnant etc.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

alexeratops

Everyone already essentially said my thoughts on this topic, so I won't bother with that. But I will say that when I read the title of this thread I started taking deep breaths... :))
like a bantha!

HD-man

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 16, 2016, 12:44:48 PMSo maybe we will soon know if Sue is really female or "A boy named Sue" is the case.

See the Larson quote. Also, see Figure 8.18 for how they plot on a graph (Sue is FMNH PR2081): https://books.google.com/books?id=5WH9RnfKco4C&pg=PA125&dq=%22figure+8.18.+mor%22&hl=en#v=onepage&q=%22figure%208.18.%20mor%22&f=false ).

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on March 17, 2016, 01:35:05 AMThis is also hardly groundbreaking up to the minute news either, this information has been around and had been published at least a few years back.It appears a tad...sensationalized..hence the term pregnant etc.

My thoughts exactly.

Quoting Larson ( http://www.amazon.com/Tyrannosaurus-Tyrant-King-Life-Past/dp/0253350875 ):
QuoteBy use of morphometric analysis, gracile and robust morphs are confirmed to be present within the clade Tyrannosaurus rex. Extant phyloge- netic bracketing (comparison with living crocodiles and birds) leads us to conclude that the existence of these 2 morphs most parsimoniously repre- sents sexual dimorphism. The discovery of medullary bone within the medullary cavity of a robust specimen of T. rex established MOR 1125 as female (Schweitzer et al. 2005), and therefore all other robust T. rex specimens are, in all probability, also female.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

CityRaptor

Well, that explains why something about those "news" felt familiar.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Loxodon

QuoteBy use of morphometric analysis, gracile and robust morphs are confirmed to be present within the clade Tyrannosaurus rex. Extant phyloge- netic bracketing (comparison with living crocodiles and birds) leads us to conclude that the existence of these 2 morphs most parsimoniously repre- sents sexual dimorphism. The discovery of medullary bone within the medullary cavity of a robust specimen of T. rex established MOR 1125 as female (Schweitzer et al. 2005), and therefore all other robust T. rex specimens are, in all probability, also female.
Now, I can't quite remember where I got this from, but I distinctly recall having heard that the robust and gracile tyrannosaurus morphs were found in different layers of the rock formations, with one of the two (don't recall which) being found primarily in the lower layers, while the other is found mostly in the upper. That would very, very heavily imply that the different morphs are actually chrono-populations or subspecies, rather than sexes or the like. If this is true, I am very curious as to whether the paper in question here took that into account when drawing their conclusion. If they did, or if I'm remembering all of this wrong, then this is an interesting conclusion indeed. If not however, I'd take their conclusion with a grain of salt to say the least.

HD-man

Quote from: Loxodon on March 20, 2016, 12:08:57 PMIf this is true, I am very curious as to whether the paper in question here took that into account when drawing their conclusion. If they did, or if I'm remembering all of this wrong, then this is an interesting conclusion indeed.

IDK if that's true. Source(s)? In any case, it's been a while since I've read the paper & I currently don't have access to the whole thing, but from what I remember, it covers geographic/stratigraphic distribution on pages 106-114 & concludes, "Neither geographic nor stratigraphic distribution can explain these differences."
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Loxodon

Quote from: HD-man on March 20, 2016, 03:56:33 PM
IDK if that's true. Source(s)?
Well that's the problem - as I said, I don't recall where I've gotten it from. I was hoping somebody else might have known something. If you are remembering right though, and the paper actually says that, then I suppose it does not much matter either way.

SBell

Quote from: Loxodon on March 20, 2016, 06:48:44 PM
Quote from: HD-man on March 20, 2016, 03:56:33 PM
IDK if that's true. Source(s)?
Well that's the problem - as I said, I don't recall where I've gotten it from. I was hoping somebody else might have known something. If you are remembering right though, and the paper actually says that, then I suppose it does not much matter either way.

I know I had seen the idea--but any study (cursory or detailed) that I was aware was either inconclusive or dismissive of the 'separate species' idea. This current study appears to follow suit.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.