News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Sperm Whale Tusk for Trade in Japan

Started by BrontoScorpio, August 19, 2018, 01:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrontoScorpio

My Favorite non-dinosaur animal is the magnificent Sperm whale.
I bought recently a sperm whale tooth that said to have been acquired long before the 1972 bann on whaling.
( I would never do anything to risk an animal that is still being hunted, legaly or illegaly ).
Only later did the seller found he can not ship it internationaly -
but, he is willing to send it to any friend of mine in Japan.
would anyone here from Japan be interested in this for a small amount or for a trade against a figure ( Kaiyodo, etc. ) ?
( I'll add the amount for International shipping ).

Thanks.

weight is about 140gr.
Here are some pics :

BrontoScorpio

BrontoScorpio

My first 'Bump' on DTF...

Last week - Last chance .

stegosauria

I think you should ask Brett. While he isn't living in Japan he had contact there. Probably he's a little busy now because of a really big order but still worth a shot.

BrontoScorpio

stegosauria

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on August 26, 2018, 10:49:05 PM
Been there - done it ...  :(

I'm sorry that didn't work. Exactly why he/she can't ship this tooth to you internationally? Just thinking that because of the same reason maybe even a friend couldn't ship this too you.

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: stegosauria on August 27, 2018, 03:50:57 AM
... Exactly why he/she can't ship this tooth to you internationally? Just thinking that because of the same reason maybe even a friend couldn't ship this too you.
I think Japanese people are very strict with following rules ( saying with no intention to heart anyone ) -
so, most would be weary of handing over to the post office parcel containing a material, the post is prohibited from processing.
that is why I never asked anyone if he can send it to me -
All I requested was if anyone wants it for himself, and give me something ( much less valuable ) in return.

stegosauria

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on August 27, 2018, 09:34:56 AM
Quote from: stegosauria on August 27, 2018, 03:50:57 AM
... Exactly why he/she can't ship this tooth to you internationally? Just thinking that because of the same reason maybe even a friend couldn't ship this too you.
I think Japanese people are very strict with following rules ( saying with no intention to heart anyone ) -
so, most would be weary of handing over to the post office parcel containing a material, the post is prohibited from processing.
that is why I never asked anyone if he can send it to me -
All I requested was if anyone wants it for himself, and give me something ( much less valuable ) in return.

I think just now realized your intention. And probably this tooth would be difficult to ship internationally (like requiring paper about its origin). Strange the seller didn't think about that beforehand (true the Japanese are still hunting whales so probably didn't think it would be illegal or have restrictions). Sorry I don't have any more idea except you should clarify a little more in the thread title because now this a little vague and surely it won't pick anyone's interest. You should mention you'd like to trade this teeth in Japan for Kaiyodos or something similar.

BrontoScorpio

Thanks for your help.
I think I actualy wrote just that.
( even mentioned the word 'Kaiyodo' ... )
Not sure How could I write it differently.

stegosauria

You mentioned that in the thread but not in the title of the thread. People just see that: A Sperm Whale Tusk from Japan. If it wasn't in the Classified section I certainly would think you just want to show your new piece of collection. And never would have guessed you want to find a trading partner or something. You would increase your chances with a title like this: I'd like to trade a sperm whale tooth for Kaiyodos etc. in Japan.

BrontoScorpio

stegosauria

You're welcome! I've got a new idea. I don't know if you are a member of the AnimalToyForum but it's worth a shot to try there too. Or STS forum is often mentioned  here. Hope somehow you find a trading partner for that tooth.

BrontoScorpio

Thank you for caring.

I actually though about it -
but it seemed to me not justify to burden the Animal Toy forum with my registration - only for filling up one post.

furthermore, the registration proven to be something beyond the reach of my knowledge ( google aside.. ) :

Type the genus name for the alligator:
Type the genus name for the dog:
Type the genus name for the sheep:
Type the genus name for the pig:
Type the genus name for the spotted hyena:
Type the genus name for the great white shark:
Type the genus name for the whale shark:
Type the genus name for the elephant seal:

As I browsed the ATF,  I saw many familiar users -
so, I thought the same people will brows both forums ...

Thinking back - maybe I should taken make the extra effort and try finding out what is " the genus name for the spotted hyena" ....
since I would also be very happy to get a small Kaiyodo AQUALAND whale as well.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on August 30, 2018, 09:16:42 AM
Thank you for caring.

I actually though about it -
but it seemed to me not justify to burden the Animal Toy forum with my registration - only for filling up one post.

furthermore, the registration proven to be something beyond the reach of my knowledge ( google aside.. ) :

Type the genus name for the alligator:
Type the genus name for the dog:
Type the genus name for the sheep:
Type the genus name for the pig:
Type the genus name for the spotted hyena:
Type the genus name for the great white shark:
Type the genus name for the whale shark:
Type the genus name for the elephant seal:

As I browsed the ATF,  I saw many familiar users -
so, I thought the same people will brows both forums ...

Thinking back - maybe I should taken make the extra effort and try finding out what is " the genus name for the spotted hyena" ....
since I would also be very happy to get a small Kaiyodo AQUALAND whale as well.

We had serious problems with bots registering at the ATF, so I added  registration questions that only real humans can answer (using Wikipedia/Google). It was the only solution, and makes sure that only real people willing to put a little effort in join the forum. You've very welcome to join even if it is just for the one post but I'm not confident you would get a reply.

BrontoScorpio

BrontoScorpio

My last 'bump' for this one - tomorrow it's gone ...

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.