News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Shantungosaurus and Saichania

Started by Kovu, April 01, 2016, 06:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kovu

Quick question. Would Shantungosaurus and Saichania have run into each other? From the research I've done, Shantungosaurus lived from the mid-late Campanian on the Shandong peninsula.

Saichania meanwhile lived in the Late Campanian to Early Maastrichtian with a geographic range of Barun Goyot and the Nemegt in Omnogovi Province, Mongolia.

So, my thinking is, they seem to have overlapped temporally at the beginning of Saichania's time and the end of Shangtungosaurus' time. But is the geographical distance too far?

Just curious. If someone with more knowledge in this area than I do could weigh in, much appreciated!

amargasaurus cazaui

I am guessing that the dinosaurs from the western US were not unique in their migrations...and if that is the case, all odds are off....and anything could have happened.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Sim

Some palaeontologists have found Tianzhenosaurus and Shanxia to be junior synonyms of Saichania.  An easy to understand explanation for why Victoria Arbour found this can be read at the end of her blog post here: http://pseudoplocephalus.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/know-your-ankylosaurs-mongolian-odds.html  I personally think that those two are most likely synonyms of Saichania.  Those two are from Shanxi Province, which is in between the Shandong peninsula and Omnogovi Province..

Kovu

Thanks guys!

Sim, I just spent a bit looking at Victoria Arbour's blog - thank you so much for the link! Definitely bookmarking for future reference. I agree with you that Tianzhenosaurus and Shanxia are likely synonymous with Saichania and I like what she said about Saichania possibly having a widespread geographic range. She mentioned we need a better understanding of the dinosaur biostratigraphy of Mongolia, do you know if there's any papers on that topic by any chance? The only ones I've been able to find focus more on China.

Sim

You're welcome Kovu! :)  I'm afraid I don't know if there's any papers on that topic.

irimali

I don't know if this helps much, but a quick look at wikipedia's pages for the Wangshi Group (Shantungosaurus) and the Barun Goyot Formation (Saichania) don't seem to show any overlapping genera.  I don't see any hadrosaurs at all from Barun Goyot.  I wish there was more info on the environments, but I'm guessing based on the different faunas that each formation represents a different environment.  Maybe there was a place between where some animals mingled at the far edges of their ranges? 

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.