News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

At first I thought these were Alva Studio, but I'm not sure ...

Started by tw22, June 14, 2016, 01:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tw22

Hello all ! I wasn't sure where to post this, if I should use the ID thread or not ... if I should have, my apologies :)

There is a sale coming up near me, and I was looking through their pics, and I noticed they will be selling these dinosaur figures. They appear to be lead to me ... maybe brass, or some kind of mix. I've had some Alva Studio dinosaurs in the past, and at first when I saw these, I thought "Alva !" ... but I don't think they are.

Does anyone know what they are, and the history behind them ? I'm thinking about going to the sale to get them (it's not for a couple of days). I don't have access to the sale yet, so all I have is this one picture :/

This person has things from the 20's to the 90's, so they could fall anywhere in that date. Thanks to anyone who replies !

stoneage

Their SRG (Sell Rite Giftware) Dinosaurs from around 1947.  You can see other examples on Ebay.  They are fairly valuable.

tw22

Awesome ... and yup, they are valuable ! Though their values are somewhat all over the map, from 5$ to 40$ to 60$ each. Googling brought up this concerning their history:

"Sell Rite Giftware aka SRG produced solidcast lead Pre-Historic figures, Dinosaurs, animals as wells as other novelty items during the late 1940's and into the 1950's, they were coated with a patina rather than painted. Most were sold in Museum gift shops and came with a description card. One of the more prominate gift shops was The A.M.N.H. (The American Museum of Natural History in New York)."

What determines which ones are more valuable than others ? And what is a good price to pay on these guys ? I don't want to get "taken". The star of this sale is a completely different focus, so these will be a side item I don't think many people will focus on, and so there is a chance the price will be decent. But still, I want to have some knowledge going in ...

And thanks for identifying them !

tw22

Okay I think I've identified them ... input is welcome ...

Stegosaurus, (2) Trachodons, Pleiosaur, Dimetrodon, Mosasaurus ... those are the obvious ones I think.

The ones that aren't obvious, is the one to the left of the Mosasaurus, I think it's a Brontosaurus. The one next to that one, that is face down, I think that's the T-Rex. And the winged one in the back ... I can't tell if it's a Pterodactyl, or Pteranodon.

Archinto

A lot likethis would sell for over 100 on ebay because of the mosasaurus. I love the srg figures. If you get them id love to buy the mosasaurus from you! I dont have that one yet. :) lol

As mentioned about these are all srg figures of the smaller size.
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

tw22

Quote from: Archinto on June 14, 2016, 04:49:01 AM
A lot likethis would sell for over 100 on ebay because of the mosasaurus. I love the srg figures. If you get them id love to buy the mosasaurus from you! I dont have that one yet. :) lol

As mentioned about these are all srg figures of the smaller size.
He's actually my favorite one, just looking at them in the pics lol. If I buy them, I'll let you know :)

I'm guessing they will be priced at 5-20$ each, but more likely 10-20 each. If the people don't know what they are, they may price them low, but not too low.

Archinto

If they sell them by the each they typically fetch $20-$30 on ebay depending on what model or year they are from. Broken ones like the brontosaurus dont sell for much.
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

tw22

I got 'em ! Yay !

Here they are :) And please forgive my camera, it overcompensates and makes things a bit darker than they actually are :/ These have a pretty color to them, the pics just don't show it.

The Plesiosaurus is 3 7/8", no markings on the bottom. The T-Rex is about 2.75" long, with the "47 SRG" on his chest. The Dimetrodon is just under 4" long, with a fading "SRG CO" on his belly. The Stegosaurus is 3" long and has some marking on his belly but it's hard to make out (I don't think he was stamped fully originally perhaps). And the Trachodon is about 2.25" tall, with no markings.

The Mosasaurus is beautiful too ! He's 3" long ... no markings that I can find ..

Here's the T-Rex marking, and my camera shows more of his color here:

Both the Brontosaurus and the Pterodactyl are broken :/

And I got the extra Trachodon (there were two in the original ad pic), but gave it to my girlfriend :)

I also got a very cool magazine ... May of 1925 "Science and Invention in Pictures". There is a very cool article in there on how they filmed the 1925 silent "The Lost World" film ! Hope you enjoy the pics, I took pics of the entire article :)

And I'll post higher res pics of the article here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4751.0 for those who are interested in actually reading it :)

And yes, I will probably sell the figures ... if anyone is interested, feel free to let me know !

stoneage

tw22

Quote from: stoneage on June 16, 2016, 12:25:10 AM
:) How much did you end up having to pay for them?
That's like kissing and telling hahaha :~) I want to tell, but I also want to enjoy the kiss for now :)