You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Fossil dog: New species roamed eastern North America 12 million years ago

Started by sauroid, May 12, 2016, 04:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

There again with nonsensical journalistic hyperbole, what does the fact that it lived with Megalodon have to do with it? I understand giving a time relation, but I am sure it lived with plenty of other things, that it actually met!
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: PainterRex on May 12, 2016, 05:54:03 PM
There again with nonsensical journalistic hyperbole, what does the fact that it lived with Megalodon have to do with it? I understand giving a time relation, but I am sure it lived with plenty of other things, that it actually met!

I know, right? It seems that every animal that lived anywhere in the world during the Maastrichtian has to be labelled as LIVING AT THE SAME TIME THAT T. REX RULED THE LAND! STOP PRESS! OMGWTFBBQ! AWESOMEBRO!!!  :))
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

stargatedalek

Gwangi

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 13, 2016, 08:58:03 PM
"Hyena like canine".

Nope done reading.

It says "in this respect they are believed to have behaved in a similar way to hyenas today".

Borophagins are commonly compared to hyenas. What's the problem?

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Gwangi on May 13, 2016, 10:51:41 PM
"Hyena like canine".

Nope done reading.

It says "in this respect they are believed to have behaved in a similar way to hyenas today".

The problem is that it says "canine," which is the group that includes all modern dogs, it needs to say either "canid" or "borophagine."

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Gwangi

Quote from: Yutyrannus on May 14, 2016, 12:45:04 AM
"Hyena like canine".

Nope done reading.

The problem is that it says "canine," which is the group that includes all modern dogs, it needs to say either "canid" or "borophagine."

The family is Canidae, which contains the subfamily of the same name as well as the subfamily Borophaginae. Any member of the family can be called a canid or canine.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Gwangi on May 14, 2016, 02:29:49 AM

The family is Canidae, which contains the subfamily of the same name as well as the subfamily Borophaginae. Any member of the family can be called a canid or canine.
Any member of the family can be called a canid, yes, but "canine" refers specifically to members of the subfamily Caninae. As Cynarctus is a member of the Borophaginae, it cannot be called a canine.

Gwangi

Quote from: Yutyrannus on May 14, 2016, 03:56:05 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on May 14, 2016, 02:29:49 AM

Any member of the family can be called a canid, yes, but "canine" refers specifically to members of the subfamily Caninae. As Cynarctus is a member of the Borophaginae, it cannot be called a canine.

Fair enough, that seems to check out.

stargatedalek

"Hyena like canine".

Nope done reading.

That makes sense. I figured it was saying they were related. I've heard to many people call hyenas canines not to jump to the worst possible explanation.

Gwangi

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 14, 2016, 04:15:58 PM
"Hyena like canine".

Nope done reading.

That makes sense. I figured it was saying they were related. I've heard to many people call hyenas canines not to jump to the worst possible explanation.

Gotcha. Yeah, it annoys me too when hyenas are classified as canines. The BBC series "Life of Mammals" makes that mistake and it bugs me every time.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Gwangi on May 15, 2016, 02:40:03 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on May 14, 2016, 04:15:58 PM
Gotcha. Yeah, it annoys me too when hyenas are classified as canines. The BBC series "Life of Mammals" makes that mistake and it bugs me every time.
Yeah, that's still one of my favourite documentaries but that drives me nuts every time I watch it.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.