News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

3D printed Styracosaurus skull - now with photos

Started by Dinoreplicas, July 27, 2019, 09:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoreplicas

Styracosaurus skull now available to buy on Shapeways.
Based on the holotype specimen CMN 344, this 3D printed model has articulating jaw and is available in 4 scales- 1:10, 1:12, 1:16 and 1:20.

Shapeways link - Styracosaurus skull by Dinosaur Replicas

I've wanted to make one of these for ages, there's some spectacular new ceratopsians popping up lately but for me it's one of the most visually impressive skulls around (and dinosaurs are a pretty visual bunch). As usual I spent far too long on this project. Encouragement from various corners of the internet has kept me motivated though.

Readers of the W.I.P. thread have already seen the promo video-

Styracosaurus skull model

Here's a few sill renders I'm using on the Shapeways page as placeholders until I can get some photos arranged.

Dinoreplicas

Styracosaurus skull - now in 8 sizes! Following a request I've made some larger scale versions of the Styracosaurus skull.

1:4 (large) - length 1ft 7in
1:5 (medium) - length 1ft 3in
1:6 (small) - length 1ft 1in
1:8 - added to existing small scale product - length 9.9in

I've had to cut the model into 4 parts and removed the jaw articulation (I'm not ordering these sizes myself so I couldn't test the mechanics). With Shapeways base price + my (fairly modest) markup, the cost for these is a little crazy, too rich for my wallet anyway.

Large scale Styracosaurus skulls on Shapeways

Small scale Styracosaurus skulls on Shapeways

dinosaurdungeon

Quote from: Strick67 on July 27, 2019, 09:39:26 PM
Styracosaurus skull now available to buy on Shapeways.
Based on the holotype specimen CMN 344, this 3D printed model has articulating jaw and is available in 4 scales- 1:10, 1:12, 1:16 and 1:20.

Shapeways link - Styracosaurus skull by Dinosaur Replicas

I've wanted to make one of these for ages, there's some spectacular new ceratopsians popping up lately but for me it's one of the most visually impressive skulls around (and dinosaurs are a pretty visual bunch). As usual I spent far too long on this project. Encouragement from various corners of the internet has kept me motivated though.

Readers of the W.I.P. thread have already seen the promo video-

Styracosaurus skull model

Here's a few sill renders I'm using on the Shapeways page as placeholders until I can get some photos arranged.

The skulls are absolutely phenomenal buddy! I'm definitely going to pick up one of these soon! I wouldn't mind using one to sculpt a 10th scale animal, so I may have to buy two copies so I still have one to display! Keep up the great work!

Dinoreplicas

Quote from: dinosaurdungeon on September 07, 2019, 01:30:11 AMThe skulls are absolutely phenomenal buddy! I'm definitely going to pick up one of these soon! I wouldn't mind using one to sculpt a 10th scale animal, so I may have to buy two copies so I still have one to display! Keep up the great work!

Cheers bud, really glad you like it. I had thought about making a half/half version (like my dual detail rex) but I kind of abandoned the idea just because I want to move to other projects and I've got a short middle-aged attention span :)). Maybe I'll go back and do it one day.

So if you did decide to use the Styrac skull as a base It would be really cool to see it translated into a life restoration.

Dinoreplicas

Finally got around to making some photos of the Styracosaurus skull. Not the usual fancy photo-shoot these are taken on iPhone, cleaned up the background a bit for clarity. Trying a steel finish with this one, silver over dark grey acrylic.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.