News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mosasaurus! Woopie!

Started by CarnegieCollector, July 17, 2016, 04:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarnegieCollector

Yay! My collectA mosasaurus just arrived in the mail! Amazing model, perfectly accurate (other than the lack of a forked tongue). Frankly however, I am surprised by the rarity of this guy. It came out in 2014 yet Iv gotten Carnegie dinosaurs from the 80s that were easier to find. Seems strange. Maybe it didn't sell well.

Come to think of it, there really isn't that many mosasaur toys out there. The Carnegie tylosaurus and my new collecta mosasaurus seem to be the most accurate.
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

Moodyraptor

This is my favourite collecta figure bar none.  I'm surprised to hear it's hard to find.  I have no idea about how well things sell, maybe marine reptiles just don't do as well as dinosaurs with the general public? 

SBell

The problem was that it sold too well--they ran out far faster than normal, and it became hard for distributors to get more.

I'm thinking that the combination of size, accurate awesomeness, and relatively low price (it is an XL figure, not a deluxe, which it could have been) added to the shortage.

After all, given a choice between the Pliosaurus or the Mosasaurus, parents won't really know the difference--but can read a price tag.

Same for a lot of collectors!

terrorchicken

I cant find it online anywhere... its either sold out or overpriced. :(
Im hoping Safari ltd will make a new tylosaurus or resculpt their mosasaurus. I used to have their mosasaur but sold it b/c I thought it look like a rubber dime store toy. Now I kinda wish I had kept it. Maybe it just needs a repaint to look better. I still dont have a large figure representing a mosasaur family member and I would like one.

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: terrorchicken on July 17, 2016, 08:17:47 PM
Im hoping Safari ltd will make a new tylosaurus or resculpt their mosasaurus. I used to have their mosasaur but sold it b/c I thought it look like a rubber dime store toy. Now I kinda wish I had kept it. Maybe it just needs a repaint to look better. I still dont have a large figure representing a mosasaur family member and I would like one.

I ended up buying my mosasaurus, who I named "Moe", on eBay for $15. It took along time to arrive, as it was shipped from Korea. Best deal I could find though. Much better than the 40 some dollar ones.  There really isn't that many good-sized mosasaurs. It seems the new(ish) recur mosasaurus is the biggest, but sadly, I can't find that one anywhere.

You'd think mosasaurs, being one of the first extinct reptiles discovered, would be more represented in toy form.

I never liked pliosaurs. They seem like attention-seeking plesiosaurs that are trying too hard to be something they're not.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: CarnegieCollector on July 18, 2016, 07:57:03 AM
Quote from: terrorchicken on July 17, 2016, 08:17:47 PM

I ended up buying my mosasaurus, who I named "Moe", on eBay for $15. It took along time to arrive, as it was shipped from Korea. Best deal I could find though. Much better than the 40 some dollar ones.  There really isn't that many good-sized mosasaurs. It seems the new(ish) recur mosasaurus is the biggest, but sadly, I can't find that one anywhere.

You'd think mosasaurs, being one of the first extinct reptiles discovered, would be more represented in toy form.

I never liked pliosaurs. They seem like attention-seeking plesiosaurs that are trying too hard to be something they're not.

If you need a good Mosasaur figure, I can suggest the Sideshow one (  https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/20977169353/in/album-72157653828871662/ ).
I know it's pricey and quite big but it's a definitive and astonishing piece, a masterpiece.
It's the main piece in my collection.
I also have the Recur Mosa and it's not so good ( it's a toy for kids, believe me, and quite overpriced too.. ).
The Colorata Mosa is a very good figure but, like other Japan's figures, it's quite little.. ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/26149357493/in/album-72157656478051694/ )
The Collecta Mosa still remains the best choice in the low price section.
:)

terrorchicken

I love the Colorata one but it is very small...

The Rebor one is a real beauty!

QuoteI never liked pliosaurs. They seem like attention-seeking plesiosaurs that are trying too hard to be something they're not.

lol, I feel that way about spinosaurus. Like its trying too hard to be badass.  ;D

PaleoMatt

okay, the title of this thread sounds great. It makes me feel happy.

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: terrorchicken on July 18, 2016, 09:10:05 PM
I love the Colorata one but it is very small...

The Rebor one is a real beauty!

QuoteI never liked pliosaurs. They seem like attention-seeking plesiosaurs that are trying too hard to be something they're not.

lol, I feel that way about spinosaurus. Like its trying too hard to be badass.  ;D
Lol! Yeah, it's stumpy legs kinda stop him from looking any cooler than a caiman!  ;D

The sideshow mosy is a really wonderful model, but $100+ is a lot of money. That'll be a "I just retired, Imma buy something big" kinda thing!

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: PaleoMatt on July 18, 2016, 10:40:53 PM
okay, the title of this thread sounds great. It makes me feel happy.

Lol!  :D

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.