News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Best dinosaur movie not named Jurassic Park, King Kong, Godzilla

Started by laticauda, November 08, 2014, 01:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Best dinosaur movie not named Jurassic Park, King Kong, Godzilla

Baby: Secret of the Lost legend
Beast from 20,000 Fathoms
the Beast of Hollow Mountain
Valley of Gwangi
Dinosaurs! (1960)
the Land before time
the Lost World (1925)
the Land that Time Forgot
One million years B.C.
Dinosaur (2000)
Walking with Dinosaurs (2013)
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
Dinosaur Island (2002)
Unknown Island (1948)

laticauda

This was my first poll when I joined the forum.  Let's say I was a tad pretentious during the creation of it.  Thinking that many of the "other" movies were not really worth adding.  I have been humbled. 

Tyto_Theropod

For me, out of the ones I've seen, it would have to be March of the Dinosaurs, but I see mockumentaries aren't being counted. It's just really nice when you see someone portraying dinosaurs in realistically natural way. The Albertosaurus pack are made into generic kill-everything movie monsters, which is a shame, but everything else isn't all that improbable. No one talks, no one stomps things for no reason (apart from aforementioned Albertosaurs... ::)). They just behave like real animals in a real environment with real obstacles, and as a result you get given a glimpse into what life in Campanian North America might really have been like.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

JurassicGeek09

If I weren't to include Jurassic Park, my top five dinosaur films in order would be:

1. Phil Tippett's Prehistoric Beast
2. Walking With Dinosaurs 3D (Cretaceous Cut)
3. The Lost World (1925)
4. The Land Before Time
5. The Valley of Gwangi

I suppose I could replace VoG with Planet of the Dinosaurs but come on, cowboys and dinosaurs!
To view my collection pieces, check me out at: http://www.instagram.com/jurassicgeek09

Fembrogon

I gave my votes to The Lost World (1925) and The Land Before Time. Despite being extremely dated, I think TLW did a respectable job at presenting the dinosaurs as animals more so than monsters - at least until the London climax. TLBF is just pure nostalgia for me, but it's still a well made film with a nice anachronistic array of dinosaurs.
The Valley of Gwangi would get my honorable mention.

Quote from: Takama on December 02, 2014, 04:46:28 PM
Does anyone think Rodan is worthy of the list?    yes he is not a dinosaur, but he still a Pterosaur. which is prehistoric
I adore Rodan, but I think he completely crosses the line from dinosaur into movie monster, so I'd leave him off (actually, I think that goes for Beast From 20,000 Fathoms as well).

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Does anybody know if I can watch "Journey to the Beginning of Time" somewhere online? I would just buy it off Amazon, but I'm not entirely sure if the options available are the correct Region or not. (Why do different countries have to have incompatible DVD players anyway?)

Paleo SH

My personal favourite is a movie with realistic dinosaur as the main character for example is Walking with dinosaur.
They are all fantastic; Pachyrhinosaurus, gorgosaurus, troodon , ankylosaurus ....I wish more productions like that.
😀

The Atroxious

The Land Before Time and Legend of the Guardians were the only dinosaur movies I've seen besides Jurassic Park that didn't have me rolling my eyes halfway through. I'd even argue that Jurassic Park isn't so much a "dinosaur movie" as it is an excellent sci-fi thriller that happens to feature mutant dinosaurs, but that's an argument for another thread.

Of those two, I'd have to pick The Land Before Time as the better one since its plot made a bit more sense, and its tone was relatively consistent, whereas Legend of the Guardians was all over the place.

Besides those, the other dinosaur movies I've seen have been at best annoyingly cheesy (Disney's Dinosaur), and at worst, an insult to my intelligence (WWD 3D, Speckles the Tarbosaurus).

I have seen the Dinotopia miniseries, though I'm unsure whether that counts as a movie. I quite enjoy that one, even for all its flaws. The concept behind it is great, and it has an excellent soundtrack, though the writing and acting leaves a lot to be desired. I'd be inclined to rate it below LBT, but above LotG based on pure enjoyment factor.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.