News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dark Shadows and its dinosaurs

Started by Roselaar, May 11, 2012, 08:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roselaar

I just returned from watching Tim Burton's latest film, Dark Shadows (BTW, an adequate film, but a bit standard and offers few surprises). In this film, there's a boy playing with some fairly large dinosaur figures (a Styracosaurus, an Apatosaurus and a Theropod of sorts). If anyone who has seen the film recognizes these dinosaurs, can you tell me more about them, please? They looked deliciously retro, almost like Harryhausen models, but I've never seen them before and I would like to know more about them and the company that made them.
If the prop designers did their research well, these figures are from 1972 or older, though they could also be made as props specifically for this film (though I doubt they went to such lengths).

tyrantqueen

I haven't seen the movie, but I googled it and this is what came up

I'm pretty sure those were Revell (most definitely the Pteranodon) or Aurora model kits. You can still find them on eBay actually.

Here is the theropod (allosaurus)

Takama

someone outa make theread dedicated to dinosaur toys popping up in films and TV.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Yeah the original versions of those kits are Aurora Prehistoric scenes pieces...they were re-released by Revell too. I also spy some Marx figures in there as well ! ;D

I know I've seen that Spino before..maybe..Tsukuda..feels like an older Japanese figure.

Roselaar

Yeah, that's the right Theropod! Too bad the Apatosaurus and Styracosaurus aren't in that pic, but thanks for posting anyway. :) And thanks for identifying these, guys.

BTW, I don't recall that picture from the film. Is this some behind-the-scenes footage, or possibly a deleted scene?

DinoFan45

They mostly were when the little kid,( who's name currently escapes me) is playing with them quietly. If I wasn't mistaken, I saw at one point what looked like a stuffed JP triceratops. But that might just have been me.
"Life will find a way."

Gryphoceratops

Thats actually REALLY cool how they took the time to get time appropriate dinosaur toys for a movie set in the 70s! 

Roselaar

Quote from: DinoFan45 on May 14, 2012, 01:52:52 PM
They mostly were when the little kid,( who's name currently escapes me) is playing with them quietly. If I wasn't mistaken, I saw at one point what looked like a stuffed JP triceratops. But that might just have been me.

The stuffed Triceratops can be seen next to Depp in the pic above, though largely out of frame. I'm not sure it's an actual JP piece, but its style is certainly very reminiscent to that of the JP stuffed releases.

CityRaptor

Is this just me or does the toy between the Allosaurus, Spinosaurus and Pteranodon look like like a giant Version of the Marx Sphenacodon?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 13, 2012, 10:12:05 PM
Is this just me or does the toy between the Allosaurus, Spinosaurus and Pteranodon look like like a giant Version of the Marx Sphenacodon?
That would be the proper time frame for my being a kid, and I seem to remember a model Komodo dragon and I think either Revell, or Aurora did it. From the part I can see , there is a chance that might be it. Just a guess....but the spine down the back to me looks familiar. I could be wrong but ...it seems possible
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

CityRaptor

The spine ofcourse also fits the Sphenacodon, as seen here:
http://www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com/images/Marx-Sphenacodon-Dinosaur-Toys-1.jpg

Also checked for the Revell Komodo Dragon. Nope, that is not it.
Oh no

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 13, 2012, 10:48:36 PM
The spine ofcourse also fits the Sphenacodon, as seen here:
http://www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com/images/Marx-Sphenacodon-Dinosaur-Toys-1.jpg

Also checked for the Revell Komodo Dragon. Nope, that is not it.
The sphenacodon was that large? I never saw a marx piece that size like that, wow.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

amargasaurus cazaui

I also thought to mention, while I am unsure of the animal itself is the Komodo, the base pictured with the Styracosaurus base IS from the komodo dragon kit for CERTAIN. That is what set me thinking.....

CityRaptor

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 14, 2012, 12:25:25 AM
The sphenacodon was that large? I never saw a marx piece that size like that, wow.

No, it is not that large. While not owning one, I know that it is far smaller. That is why I said that it looks like a giant version.
Oh no

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.