News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Best Airbrush for Painting Dinosaurs?

Started by Archinto, October 16, 2016, 10:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archinto

Hey there everyone. Ive been wanting to get a good small professional grade airbrush kit for a long time, and i dont want to get a cheesy one. Anybody have a good recommendation for what to buy? Badger is a long standing brand but i know theres others out there. Preferably looking for a dual feed type. Isee so many different units out there, its difficult to even begin to make a choice. Anyone have experience with different units you would care to talk about? Lets here whatcha got! :)
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Newt

I will be watching this thread with interest!

paleoferroequine

Dual feed? Do you mean the paint can be top gravity feed or bottom siphon feed? I'm not familiar with them. I believe the Badger Universal 360 or Thayer & Chandler Omni Matrix(owned by Badger) are  the only ones. Not sure what advantage they are over more conventional designs.
   Or do you mean dual action? Dual action is where the trigger controls both air volume and paint line width. The dual feed airbrushes are also dual action.
   Besides several single action airbrushes (Paasche H and Badger 200). I next used a Badger dual action model 150 siphon feed for about 20 years, it is still good but does need an overhaul due to internal wear. I got pretty good deals on an Iwata Neo siphon feed and also a Badger Omni 3000 siphon feed which I currently use, both are dual action also. The choice of siphon feed or gravity is yours. I prefer siphon since I can switch color cups or use bottles for larger jobs. But the gravity feed uses less air pressure and is capable of somewhat finer control. 
   I think as long as you keep to well known brands, you should be good. Avoid clones, some people get lucky and use them for years but generally quality control is suspect. I had a Badger clone a long time ago and while Badger was English measure, the clone was metric on the threads so no replacement parts would fit. Even the air hoses.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.