News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Triassic "three-eyed" reptile discovered in Texas

Started by sauroid, October 19, 2016, 03:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Derek.McManus

Libraraptor

http://www.cell.com/current-biology/abstract/S0960-9822(16)30860-0

This is another information. I don´t like this "three eyed" - thing, it´s even embarrassing, since ther was no vertebrate with three eyes , but  I guess science needs blatant keywords to get attention.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Libraraptor on October 19, 2016, 05:09:11 PM
http://www.cell.com/current-biology/abstract/S0960-9822(16)30860-0

This is another information. I don´t like this "three eyed" - thing, it´s even embarrassing, since ther was no vertebrate with three eyes , but  I guess science needs blatant keywords to get attention.

Agreed. The pineal foramen doesn't even make the abstract of the actual paper. The relevant section from the link in the first post is this: "A secondary hypothesis that the authors consider less likely, is that the pit represents a pineal eye, a light sensing patch of skin that communicates directly to the pineal gland in the brain. They regard this as less likely because there is no clear communication from the pit to the brain in the fossil, and no archosauriforms are known to retain pineal eyes."

In other words, the three-eyed claim is media hyperbole. They found a dodgy hook and ran with it.

A pineal opening is nothing special anyway, ichthyosaurs, plesiosaurs, mosasaurs, all have one, as do many reptile groups.

Jose S.M.

The thing that caught my attention more was the head bumps actually, I knew that the third eye was probably a pineal opening. And use it even when it's not an important part is lame, it would be better to advertising it as a some headed reptile or something on those lines.

Papi-Anon

I'll be honest, the first thing I thought when I read the thread title was that this was an ancestor/relative of the Tuatara when it mentioned it being 'three-eyed'.
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.