News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The "Treeosaur" theory

Started by Dilopho, October 25, 2016, 08:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dilopho

While looking at diagrams for T. rex's vision range, I stumbled across this totally bonkers website. It's dedicated to trying to find out how T. rex hunted but seems to think that it hunted by hiding behind a tree. But it's a really weird website. The theory is actually plausible and they have clearly put a lot of research into this.

http://www.treeosaur.com/html/InDepth/InDepth.html

Derek.McManus

I couldn't face reading the entire text but I will point out the first time I heard about 'hunt standing' in T.rexes,  it was in the hugely entertaining but hardly completely scientific story 'Flesh' from the popular UK comic 2000AD the fourth story arc I believe when the current big bad ' Gorehead ' don't ask! 😀 is pictured leaning against a tree resting and hunt standing with a brief text describing what he is doing and how he hears the approaching horse via vibrations, I think the horses name was Dakota, but I digress!

For those that don't know the 'Flesh' series of stories pitched time travelling cowboys from the future travelling back in time to harvest dinosaurs for, you've guessed it...their flesh, actually very interesting stories the dinosaurs are cast as the Native Americans to the future cowboys and generally have a lhero dinosaur, Old one eye, Big Hungry, or Gorehead! First written in the 1970's, parts one and two and with follow on tales in the 90's and 00's. I'm on a ferry to Scotland at the moment so can't dig out my copy.

I would suggest that one plagiarised the other in some way!

Dilopho

I have one issue of the second flesh, the underwater themed-one with BIG HUNGRY the Nothosaurus.
It grossed me out so I only got the first issue hahaha. Please tell me BIG HUNGRY eats the stupid time-travelling thief that kills his babies.

Crackington

"Flesh" was a great story and I remember the first episodes well, the body count was enormous! Pat Mills the writer obviously did his homework as the story featured a number of dinos then not featured much in popular literature, e.g. Alamosaururus and Deinonychus, though he didn't pay too much attention to mixing up time zones! Old One Eye was a great villain which even as a fossil manages to munch on a paleontologist in a museum! Great times!

Derek.McManus

Flesh is a fun strip! And I do believe that Claw Carver got his comeuppance!

Regarding the original Flesh comic it was certainly ahead of its time....featuring furry Tyrannosaurs!

Lanthanotus

Nice find, Dilopho and while I've to admit that I honestly think the author spent some serious thoughts and a fair amount of work into that theory, I deem it so unlikely thait's hard to express....

stargatedalek

Everything about that writeup and presentation is complete nonsense, but the general idea of a large animal managing to hide behind a tree is not that far fetched.

Daspletotyrannus

Interesting, but all I was thinking was Tyrannosaurus literally a tree hugger with this theory. Lol

Dilopho

Derek McManus was kind enough to share this photograph with me on Facebook of the "Treeosaur" Tyrannosaurus rex in Flesh.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.