News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Good Scale For Sauropod Models

Started by nwfonseca, January 25, 2017, 03:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwfonseca

Hey all! I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on scale for sauropod models. I like working in 1:15 scale but at that size you are looking at sculptures up to 6 feet "~2meters" long. Also, there is the consideration of where people can put the model. I really dislike going too small as it falls in the toy size and buyers would probably be better served purchasing a toy as the costs would be much cheaper. Of course one could go the route of sculpting a "small" sauropod at the larger scale. Any ideas? I have been toying with the notion of doing one and I am mentally trying to prepare myself on going through the process.

BlueKrono

For very large sauropods like Brachiosaurus I like 1/40 scale. The Carnegie one is pretty massive, and I really enjoy that bulk in a sauropod model. I also love the 1/20 scale Kaiyodo Saltasaurus, which is only a little bigger but was a much smaller sauropod. I think it really depends on the size of the dinosaur. Almost everyone has limited space, and having a brachiosaur in 1/20 scale just isn't feasible for most people. I do hear a lot of call on this forum for bigger sauropod models though. The 1/40 Saltasaurs and Amargasaurs just don't really blow people away.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Blade-of-the-Moon

I would say around 2' is good for the main body to the neck on any sauropod. tails don't count much as they can be  all twisty twiney .  It fits a large size desired by collectors while not being out of the realm of most shelves..in my experience sauropods generally find themselves on the top level of shelves or cabinets.  so i wouldn't worry so much on the scale.    A reared up Amargasaurus in this would be killer for example.

DinoLord

1:20 and 1:40 are my two favorites. Sauropods were big, and their model representations should respect that fact!

Paleogene Pals

I prefer sauropod models in 1:20 scale since that is the scale I collect in.

AcroSauroTaurus

Well, I'm starting a 1:35 scale figure line, including the sauropods. 1:35 isn't small,(unless the sauropod is small) but its not excessively large either.
I am the Dinosaur King!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.