You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

I'm after some advice on my kits :3 Making and selling.

Started by Optinium, April 22, 2018, 11:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Optinium

Hey all, firstly thanks for the warm welcome in my hello thread.

So I've recently invested in some 3D printers and decided to start printing some of my character sculpts. I sculpted my take on a T-Rex a couple of years back and posed it for printing. I've printed off a couple of samples and put 2 of the kits up for sale on my etsy store here - https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/608420129/t-rex-tyrannosaurus-rex-scale-model-kit?ref=shop_home_active_1

Given the wealth of experience on this subject in the forum I'm looking for a bit of guidance, so thanks in advance for any advice.
So are unkeyed parts generally ok? In my personal kit some loctite did a great job and I've used model putty over the seams along with primer (still needs refinement, I'm new to this still).
Do people expect to do any clean up/prep work before painting when buying kits? I guess it depends on price? Is having supports removed or left on preferable in kits, do people prefer them assembled or primed?
Is the current price in the above advert good/bad for a FDM printed kit with pretty good details?

Again any advice or pointers is greatly appreciated.

Syndicate Bias

Honestly it depends but generally most seasoned kit buyers expect them to need prepaparation such as sanding the joints and washing them to apply primer. Some companies do all of that for you but most dont do honestly if you wanna specify for new buyers then go ahead mate, but most people expect more than just simply gluing it together lol.

Syndicate Bias

I think having them already built up is honestly more preferable than primed but this should go on the cost of the item honestly. Since most kits do come unnasembled and unprimed.

Honestly these should be extra charges if someone wants it assembled and primed, but that's just my opinion

Optinium

Thanks Syndicate Bias, this is really helpful.

So I wonder when it comes to 3D FDM printed parts, some support material on the underbody would be expected? Reason I ask is I can prep items and get rid of some things which the end user would need to address, but that ofcourse adds to time and thus cost so is it worth me doing. I guess it depends on the market aim/end user .

Syndicate Bias

Yea it really depends on who is your aim. Most people that buy these kits arent your casual toy collector, they usually either have them paid to be made by someone or the original seller who also charges for build up service. So i think you should be fine although maybe do cut down a bit of the extra material as its best to make it easier for the buyer to assemble thus good reputation for quality products, but as said before, these buyers expect more than "just gluing it together".

As for support honestly it would be a great thing to include and greatly appreciated for your customers as it can be a pain when you get a model and it needs support but it didnt come with any so its something that should be addressed immediately as that can impact whether someone will really wanna take the time to get creative about support.

Best of luck!

Optinium

Ahh when I say support I mean the support material that is created when the item is 3d printed (to keep it upright etc...) as it takes time to remove. However actual customer support and material wasn't something I have thought much about, so you've given me more to mull over :D

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.