News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Started a Plesiosaur sculpture

Started by modelnut, March 19, 2017, 08:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanthanotus

Quote from: modelnut on March 28, 2017, 11:55:53 PM
[...]

I am not a rich man. So paper mache' is going to become my building material of choice.
[...]

Being rich or not, paper mache is a good choice :). It recycles stuff that otherwise would often enough be rubbish (and yes, it will not decay, paper often even does not "in the wild" when it's buried in landfills) and it's stable, cheap and easy to work with. I used it in several occassions for sculptures of up to several metres. For bigger things a frame of some kind of wire can be required, I'd definetly recommend some wire or cardboard skeleton for the Apato. Will that also be in 1:24?

Moodyraptor

That is a great sculpture.  I have never seen this interpretation of a plesiosaur before.

modelnut

Thanks to Pegasus Hobbies I am definitely hooked on 1:24. That is G scale in the US. A lot of figures and vehicles are already available in that scale. Putting the family car beside your new dinosaur model really hits home. :)

The plesiosaur is base coated in Krylon Almond. Now I need to start painting.

I finally found out the artist's real name, Gabriel Ugueto.

-Leelan

Newt

Very nice work! I look forward to seeing the paint-up.

Tyto_Theropod

Beautiful sculpt, and a very novel interpretation of a Plesiosaur. It would certainly makes sense to have more flesh on them, as most marine animals do. A layer of blubber doubles as insulation and streamlining. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing this completed.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

modelnut

Very close to finishing this one.

Just a few details to tidy up tomorrow and finalize the base then I will have what my wife calls "A Finish!"

- Leelan

ZoPteryx

A+++ work!  Can't wait to see the final shots!  :)

Lanthanotus

Very natural and washed out, I like it,... would go great with Schleich's Shonisaurus and CollectA's Kronosaurus.

BlueKrono

How do you get such a smooth blend on your paint? Do you have an airbrush?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

modelnut

It's a lousy picture. But there is a lot more variation than can be seen in that picture. But I just wanted to give you folks an update.

I primed the figure with Krylon Almond Satin (because Shane Foulkes mentioned it once.) Then I took a stencil brush and stippled various shades of white and tan and flesh on the underside. I stippled tan and brown on the top. I sealed it with a few coats of artist flat coat. I didn't know how to do that pattern in Gabriel's original art so I just tried something to see if it would work. I had a transparent black smoke air brush paint and did my best to approximate what I saw in the original. It took a few coats to get it distinct enough. Then I misted a tan flesh over all of that. I just need to whiten the sides a bit and paint the eyes and I think the plesiosaur will be done.

- Leelan