News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Tony McVey Stop Motion Rex

Started by arvalis, April 08, 2017, 11:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arvalis

Hey everyone, long time lurker and now first time poster. MY name is RJ Palmer, I am one of the concept artists for Saurian, which I'm sure some of you have seen. I am also somewhere well known for my realistic pokemon illustrations. I wanted to wait to start posting here until I had something pretty special, and boy do I.

Sometime around September 2016 I had the idea of getting a fully posable T. rex model made. I happened to be in contact with Tony Mcvey, a world renowned sculptor that has worked on things like Star Wars Return of the Jedi. We both agreed that having feathers on this model would probably not do well under repeated handling so I set out to design a naked rex. This was the result of that process, it was made to be the most accurate rex possible, ya know, excluding the feathers. I spent like way too long noodling on this, making everything just right. I hope the naked bird look comes across, that was definitely the intent.

Anyways, the model is complete now, the ultimate in art reference technology. Everything is posable, even the eyes and tongue. Since I'm sure you guys wanna see some photos, you can check them out below or for more http://sta.sh/21vdbsy8vsto.

Original artwork I made for this project.

Finished product, scroll to see process.

Lanthanotus

Welcome to the forum,....

... nice entry, looks awesome, nice bulk to it and the face (with lips!!!) looks very life like. You gonna use that for some video stuff, or will it be "just" a posable model for you? It's made from foam material with latex layered above?

PS: Those hook structures are a very nice addition to the tongue. Never seen that before in a model but it indeed is a plausible evolutionary trait, great.

CrypticPrism

Oh my god. The almighty RJ palmer has joined our forums! I have both of your books!

That's an amazing model. I love how you tried to make the most accurate t-rex possible without feathers. Also, a question not really concerning the forums, when is your next realistic Pokémon piece going to be presented?
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

AcroSauroTaurus

Let me get this out of the way first: I am a big fan of your artwork, and it is amazing to see you on the forum, and not just DeviantArt and Facebook! You might recognize me from DeviantArt under the same username. ;) Or at least recognize my artwork.

Ok, now to be more professional. The sculpt looks great, perfectly created using your artwork as reference. I hope you plan on more of these in the future!
I am the Dinosaur King!

Patrx

Firstly, welcome to the forum! It's great to have you here  :D
Secondly, that is a genuinely amazing piece! It's inspiring to look at; I would be very interested in seeing any animation done with it in the future. There are so many things that can be done with stop-motion in conjunction with modern image processing and compositing tools, but it's sadly rarely seen. But, I digress somewhat.
This model reminds me of the star of one of my favorite childhood dinosaur books, the poseable Dorling Kindersley Tyrannosaurus maquette:

Flaffy

Welcome to the forum RJ!
The posable rex looks really good :))

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Patrx on April 09, 2017, 06:49:50 AM
[...]
This model reminds me of the star of one of my favorite childhood dinosaur books, the poseable Dorling Kindersley Tyrannosaurus maquette:

Aww,.... I also liked the book, but always found that T. rex somewhat failed with its "duckbill" snout, the spindly legs and and that "humanoid" cervical joint. Sorry, I don't want to spoil anyone's childhood favorites, just when I saw the posted image that suddenly came back.

earth108

Wow... just Wow :o What an impressive piece. Welcome to the forum. :)
May I ask what size of this Rex and what is a material used for muscles layers and outer skin?

BlueKrono

I've favorited several of your Pokemon on DA. That Rex's tongue reminds me of something... what animal had a tongue like that?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

stargatedalek

Quote from: BlueKrono on April 09, 2017, 08:28:27 PM
I've favorited several of your Pokemon on DA. That Rex's tongue reminds me of something... what animal had a tongue like that?
Geese have a similar structure of hooks on their tongues. The tongue really sets it apart.

spinosaurus1

Actually the tongue here bare more of a resemblance to that of birds of prey rather then geese

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.