News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Fossil Care

Started by Papi-Anon, April 15, 2017, 09:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papi-Anon

I recently bought a shale trilobite fossil (Cambrian I think) and it has the scent of cigarette smoke from the previous owner. I've read that baking soda can absorb tobacco smoke smell from plastics but will the same liberal application on the rock and fossil work? Will it damage the fossil any? I've only had it under a pile of baking soda since Friday evening (April 14th).

It should be noted that I need the fossil for making castings using silicone molds for a project, so any way to remove smoke without losing the details of the tiny trilobite is what I'm looking for.
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

Lanthanotus

I guess it depends on the stone material of the actual fossil, which in this case is most likely chalk sediment (rather than volcanic sash for example - would expect no problems there either though). I'd expect no damage from the baking soda as it basically contains/is made of the same chemicals (calcium and carbonate), however I'd also expect the smell removal traits only work if the soda is applied with water, not dry, but I never tried soda for smell removal (I use it to clean and bleach bones though, which in turn are also made by a great part from the same chemicals, calcium and carbonate).

Good luck on removing that awful smell :)

Fenestra

I remember from my action figure collecting days, that immersing it with fresh cat litter can sometimes do the trick as well.

amargasaurus cazaui

Using acetone on the matrix with a small brush often removes discolorations and.smells but you could also simply seal the fossil using stone master or any commercial variety fossil sealer
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.