You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Naturalis Biodiversity Center in Leiden, The Netherlands

Started by Nanuqsaurus, November 12, 2019, 10:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanuqsaurus

Hey everyone, here are a few pictures from my recent visit to the newly reopenend Naturalis museum in Leiden, The Netherlands. Naturalis is of course the home of Trix the Tyrannosaurus, but they have quite a few other dinosaurs and prehistoric animals in their collection as well. Many seem to have been carried over from the previous museum, and some are still displayed in their classic, somewhat outdated poses. It's an impressive collection and exhibit however, and the new museum looks beautiful, so definitely worth a visit for any fan of dinosaurs or nature in general if you're in the Netherlands! :D

I'll just let the pictures do most of the talking. Sorry in advance for any poor quality pictures, most areas in the museum are extremely dark and it's rather crowded, so not really a perfect situation for photography.

Plateosaurus:

Ichthyosaurus:

Camarasaurus:

Stegosaurus:

I'm not sure exactly what genus of Pterosaur is displayed here, the new museum is kinda scarce with information signs. So if anyone recognizes it, let me know! EDIT: Thanks Vidusaurus!
Anhanguera:

More pictures soon! :)

ceratopsian

Thanks for the photos. It's always interesting to see museums I don't know personally. As a museum curator, I am disturbed to read that the labels were inadequate, especially as the museum has just redesigned its displays. That seems a real missed opportunity. I think curators are sometimes too keen to believe that the public will feel intimidated if you give them information.  I am also glad that I saw Trix in Glasgow with decent light!

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: ceratopsian on November 12, 2019, 01:05:05 PM
Thanks for the photos. It's always interesting to see museums I don't know personally. As a museum curator, I am disturbed to read that the labels were inadequate, especially as the museum has just redesigned its displays. That seems a real missed opportunity. I think curators are sometimes too keen to believe that the public will feel intimidated if you give them information.  I am also glad that I saw Trix in Glasgow with decent light!

Yeah I think the architect of the new Naturalis building wanted it to be more about the ''experience'' rather than being informative. At least the dinosaurs had info signs, as they are completely absent from their extant animal collection. They don't even get labels with their species names on them. I'm not entirely sure if the concept works for me, because when I visit a museum I sure would like to learn a thing or two.

ceratopsian

For me, learning something is always part of a museum visit. If the information is provided, I then have the choice of how much to take in properly and how much to skim.

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on November 12, 2019, 06:41:34 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on November 12, 2019, 01:05:05 PM

Yeah I think the architect of the new Naturalis building wanted it to be more about the ''experience'' rather than being informative. At least the dinosaurs had info signs, as they are completely absent from their extant animal collection. They don't even get labels with their species names on them. I'm not entirely sure if the concept works for me, because when I visit a museum I sure would like to learn a thing or two.

Nanuqsaurus

Part 2 of the pictures!

Triceratops:

Edmontosaurus:

Mosasaurus:

And of course, the queen of the museum, Trix the Tyrannosaurus:

Vidusaurus

The pterosaur in the first post is Anhanguera blittersdorfi, there's an identical cast at Museum Victoria in Melbourne.

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: Vidusaurus on November 14, 2019, 07:40:03 AM
The pterosaur in the first post is Anhanguera blittersdorfi, there's an identical cast at Museum Victoria in Melbourne.

Thanks a lot! :D I was sure it was some sort of Ornithocheirid, but I didn't know exactly which genus exactly. I'll edit the original post.

Here are the last few pictures I took.

Megaloceros:

Mammuthus (woolly mammoth):

And finally, two pictures of me with Triceratops and Trix:

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.