News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mesozoic Masterpiece

Started by Cloud the Dinosaur King, March 27, 2017, 12:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImADinosaurRARR

Wow, these pieces are amazing of a first timer. I'm not a sculptor but I am an artist and I find your sculpts are far better quality then what I was doing at your age.

That being said, I feel that you might have bitten off more then you can chew with making entire bodies. When it comes to art, you need to learn in steps: Draw fruit to learn the dimensions and how light reacts with colour, draw people to learn how the body contorts in different poses. I feel that you might need to do a similar thing: Sculpt modern animals. Like I said, I'm not a sculptor, but principals can carry over and I feel that making sculpts of birds and crocks will give you a better understanding of the textures and stuff.

That's not to say that there's no talent already: the way the legs blend into the body is nice and the tails look fluid with the pose, but when it comes to the little things like the skin, teeth and tough, studying and replicating images would defiantly improve you work.

Once you've done proper studies, try sculpting dinosaur heads. Bodies are super complicated and heads get you used to the details with the teeth and lips and stuff. Once you've done those things, then I feel that you could probably move on to the entire body.

Also, make sure to use the proper tools. I looked on ebay and a large pack to tools cost under $20. Fingers aren't enough when you want to scratch in the finer details. Hope this helps   ; )

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: ImADinosaurRARR on May 15, 2017, 10:52:51 AM
Wow, these pieces are amazing of a first timer. I'm not a sculptor but I am an artist and I find your sculpts are far better quality then what I was doing at your age.

That being said, I feel that you might have bitten off more then you can chew with making entire bodies. When it comes to art, you need to learn in steps: Draw fruit to learn the dimensions and how light reacts with colour, draw people to learn how the body contorts in different poses. I feel that you might need to do a similar thing: Sculpt modern animals. Like I said, I'm not a sculptor, but principals can carry over and I feel that making sculpts of birds and crocks will give you a better understanding of the textures and stuff.

That's not to say that there's no talent already: the way the legs blend into the body is nice and the tails look fluid with the pose, but when it comes to the little things like the skin, teeth and tough, studying and replicating images would defiantly improve you work.

Once you've done proper studies, try sculpting dinosaur heads. Bodies are super complicated and heads get you used to the details with the teeth and lips and stuff. Once you've done those things, then I feel that you could probably move on to the entire body.

Also, make sure to use the proper tools. I looked on ebay and a large pack to tools cost under $20. Fingers aren't enough when you want to scratch in the finer details. Hope this helps   ; )
Thanks for the advice. I am basing the Palaeosaniwa off of a modern day monitor lizard, in fact I used a Green Anole for help with the interior of the mouth. I'm also an artist, and some of my drawing include an Alectrosaurus and an Australovenator. If you want to see any of my drawings, let me know. Again, thanks for the advice. I am going to Michael's to get some more clay (I will get Sculpey III this time), and I will also pick up some tools.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.