News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Let's talk about Balaur!

Started by Cloud the Dinosaur King, May 06, 2017, 01:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Well, I just wanted to start a thread about the incredible Balaur, the dromaeosaur with 2 sickle claws each foot and one on each hand! I've heard some sources saying that it might just a herbivorous bird, but don't take all the fun out of it! Leave your thoughts on this incredible dromaeosaur below.

stargatedalek

But it wasn't a dromaeosaur....
I'm skeptical that it was a true bird, but it wasn't a dromaeosaur.

We can't really say the diet without the head unless we have gut contents or it's from a group that's very specialized. Balaur has no skull, or gut contents, and birds and their close relatives have varied diets.

It always bothers me when people just say Balaur had two sickle claws, they really aren't at all like dromaeosaur claws and were definitely not for the same purpose. It would be more accurate to say Balaur has raised toes with very large claws.

*edit*
I stand corrected, they likely weren't raised in life at all, but rather preserved that way because the toes are longer.
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/blogs/assets/tetrapod-zoology/File/Balaur-reconstruction-Csiki-et-al-2010-600-px-tiny-June-2015-Tetrapod-Zoology.jpg

Neosodon

According to Prehistoric Wildlife it is a dromeosaur. ;) Most paleo artists depict it as a dromeosaur also. But I think this one is the best artistic wise.

But here is what we do know of it. The long fingers and the short toe bone with the long claws would give it a powerful grip. It was 2 meters long.

It was most likely a hunter of small animals and dinosaurs like Leptoceratops.  If the claws were not at least slightly raised as it walked they would just stick into the ground. Most Dromeasaurs used their sickle claws as puncture weapons. Balaur had 4 of them so they would not be as effective as penatration weapons. It would most likely use them more as tools to grip onto prey or to climb trees. Since the sickle claw is a trait only found in dromeasaurs I would say Baluar is most likely one too.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

stargatedalek

It was not a dromaeosaur, it was an avialan. Prehistoric Wildlife is a GOD AWFUL SOURCE DO NOT USE IT JUST DON'T PLEASE. You might as well be citing Primeval or The Carnivora Forum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balaur_bondoc

Flaffy

One does not simply reference a source with stuff like this:

BlueKrono

Stargatedalek, when you say it was an "avian" are you meaning "true bird"? I always thought it was a dromaeosaur, but is there anything between them and birds? Either way, I've learned a lot more than I knew yesterday from this thread.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Ravonium

BlueKrono, I think she means a member of the clade Avialae, which includes any theropod more closely related to birds than dromaeosaurs or troodonts, The Wikipedia page she linked us to says that Balaur is a member of this clade.

I will say, I'm not surprised you are confused about this.

Neosodon

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 06, 2017, 05:44:02 AM
It was not a dromaeosaur, it was an avialan. Prehistoric Wildlife is a GOD AWFUL SOURCE DO NOT USE IT JUST DON'T PLEASE. You might as well be citing Primeval or The Carnivora Forum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balaur_bondoc
I doubt Wikipedia is much more accurate but their page seems better researched and more up to date in this case. So I don't mind calling it an avalian AKA  dino birds (my prefered term.) But they were still not able to rule out the possiblity "While their analysis could not completely rule out the possibility that B. bondoc was a dromaeosaurid, they concluded that this result was less likely than the classification of Balaur as a non-pygostylian avialan" Dromeasaurs are already closely related to birds so to completely rule out the possibility of it being a dromeasaur is just overconfidence.

Anyways wikapedia also states "Dromaeosaurids are so bird-like that they have led some researchers to argue that they would be better classified as birds." Using bird like features as a reason to classify Balaur as a non dromeasaur is not exactly concrete evidence since dromeasaurs are so closely related to birds to begin with. Balaur could have just been closer to birds than other dromeasaurs.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

stargatedalek

Quote from: BlueKrono on May 06, 2017, 12:30:23 PM
Stargatedalek, when you say it was an "avian" are you meaning "true bird"? I always thought it was a dromaeosaur, but is there anything between them and birds? Either way, I've learned a lot more than I knew yesterday from this thread.
I think you misread, I said avialan ;)

Jose S.M.

While Wikipedia it's not a very reputable source itself, one can check the bibliographic references to see if the information comes from a reputable source. In this case, the apart that thanks about Balaur not being a dromaeosaur references to a scientific study.

BlueKrono

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 06, 2017, 04:17:51 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on May 06, 2017, 12:30:23 PM
I think you misread, I said avialan ;)

So you did, my mistake. Again, a term I was previously unfamiliar with.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Reptilia

Did I understand correctly, being part of Avialae Balaur stands between dromaeosaurids and birds?

Ravonium

Quote from: Reptilia on May 07, 2017, 11:16:12 AM
Did I understand correctly, being part of Avialae Balaur stands between dromaeosaurids and birds?

Yes, although being part of Avialae means that Balaur is slightly closer to modern birds than dromaeosaurs.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Reptilia on May 07, 2017, 11:16:12 AM

Right. Avialae is the group between dromaeosaurids and modern birds. Some people call avialans birds themselves. If you follow that Balaur is a bird, just not a member of the modern bird group (Aves or Neornithes). Personally I think the word "bird" should only be used for the modern bird group, because that's the only group that has all the features we think of as bird features. A lot of scientists agree with me but a lot don't.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

FeatheryFiend

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on May 06, 2017, 04:19:59 PM
While Wikipedia it's not a very reputable source itself, one can check the bibliographic references to see if the information comes from a reputable source.

As a member of the Dinosaur WikiProject over there, I can assure you that people tend to be on the look out for uncited information over there; basically nothing can be added without some kind of citation. That's the entire reason the Citation Needed template is used on dinosaur-related articles.

Some stuff slips through, but with a user-edited encyclopedia, that's bound to happen. Most every article under WP:DINO is monitored to make it as accurate and reputable as possible.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.