You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Spinosaurid tooth from the Sanchu Group

Started by Halichoeres, May 25, 2017, 04:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

Neat!

It's a bit of a puzzle to me why there aren't more good spinosaurid fossils. Their apparent preference for living in depositional environments would seem to make them ideal candidates for preservation, and they can't have been too rare judging by the quantities of isolated teeth found in the Kem Kem beds...

Halichoeres

Quote from: Newt on May 25, 2017, 01:59:14 PM
Neat!

It's a bit of a puzzle to me why there aren't more good spinosaurid fossils. Their apparent preference for living in depositional environments would seem to make them ideal candidates for preservation, and they can't have been too rare judging by the quantities of isolated teeth found in the Kem Kem beds...

Good question. Scavenging? Wave action? Seems like either might be enough to preclude intact carcasses.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

Perhaps they were more marine than often given credit for, which would explain why there are so exponentially many teeth relative to bones.

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 25, 2017, 10:11:27 PM
Quote from: Newt on May 25, 2017, 01:59:14 PM
Neat!

Good question. Scavenging? Wave action? Seems like either might be enough to preclude intact carcasses.

I recall a study where it was demonstrated that, in a normally functioning estuary or marsh, animal remains rot away very quickly due to those factors. The major exception of course, are the occasional oxygen deprived ecosystems that give rise to lagerstatten deposits.  It makes sense, I think, that spinosaurs wouldn't be likely to venture into these sorts of lagoons due to lack of prey.  On top of that, spinosaurs were probably pretty sparse in their ecosystems as it was.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.