News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur Flexibility?

Started by Papi-Anon, June 05, 2017, 12:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papi-Anon

So, my question specifically deals with Velociraptor as I'm trying to fine-tune the areas of articulation of my 1:12 Velociraptor figure designs:

How flexible was it in the region between the ribs and hips? (Paravian waist/midsection?). Is it even worth articulating that section with how much it could have flexed?

Also, in general how flexible was that region of various groups of dinosaurs both bipedal and quadrupedal?

Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

Lanthanotus

I wouldn't bother with an articulation in this body region, not because of its avian relationship (where the whole ribcage is very inflexible in terms of moving from side to side or upwards/downwards), but because its very short and compact build. Only animals with an elongate rip cage/mid body section are capable of some serios articulation in this region, but from this group some also are only capable in this on several directions. For example cats and dogs, while both have an elongate mid body section, the main movement of this section can be up and down rather than sideways. A limiting factor in this is also the presence of "belly ribs" (which are often forgotten in dinosaur skeleton reconstructions), the cartilage (or partly bony) connection from ribs to the sternum, which stabilizes the whole rib cage. So with the exception of animals as weasels, mainly animals without such reinforced ribcages and elonaget body sections are capable of an articialtion in all directions, such as lot of lizards, snakes (for sure :P), salamanders and the like.

Papi-Anon

So for a large figure of a theropod such as Allosaurus or T-Rex (Thrasher Rex to Bull Rex sized) that should also be left unarticulated?

Either way, saves me some trouble keeping the hips and ribs one piece. Though in my prototype it did make for some dynamic poses...
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.