News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Terra Nova

Started by BlueKrono, July 07, 2017, 04:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

Even though it's been mentioned offhand a few times on the forum I thought I'd start an official thread for the single-season tv show Terra Nova. Now that I'm in a new place I have access to Netflix and am diving into it. My favorite thing so far is the "Xiphy-kebabs"- yes, that's short for Xiphactinus. Ugly but oh so tasty, as they say. I just thought that was a fun little detail, despite the fact that the compound is not near any body of water larger than a shallow stream with a waterfall. But hey, maybe it's actually some other ichthyodectid that uses the force of the rushing water in its hunting like the modern-day payara. Just my own musings... Anyway, does anyone have any fond memories of this show? Or, I don't know, wanna tear it apart?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

amargasaurus cazaui

I remember the entire..Brachiosaurus eating lizards thing as being amusing, but I liked most of the series anyways....I think it had potential if they had remained more focused on the creatures and the environment rather than the factions of people...
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

BlueKrono

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 07, 2017, 04:57:46 PM
I remember the entire..Brachiosaurus eating lizards thing as being amusing, but I liked most of the series anyways....I think it had potential if they had remained more focused on the creatures and the environment rather than the factions of people...

Ah yes, that was in the first episode. She said they have some special kind of teeth they used for eating meat. Sounded like bunk to me without needing to look further into it.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

amargasaurus cazaui

oh well, still a lot of fun in the series.....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

i liked it, bit of jurassic park mixed with land of the lost and stargate, just need more dinosaur action.

I always figured it was possible sauropods would get a little protein in their diet..even by accident. the odd bird, nest, small mammal , pterosaur , ect  that would get scooped up. 

stargatedalek

Perhaps it was based on the idea of infant sauropods being omnivores (speaking of which, does anyone have any proper sources on that? Was there ever anything substantial or was it just an idea that certain documentaries ran with?).

Some of the creature designs were interesting, at least from a sci-fi perspective. I haven't seen the show since it first aired but I recall getting bored of the characters and story, although I was a kid at the time so I really don't remember why.

SpartanSquat

Like stargatedalek I didnt see the show since the first air. I preffered much Primeval over Terra Nova, due Terra Nova was more focused in the human story and the human story was pretty lame, exception with Stephen Lang character. One thing I remember was the Carnotaurus having some quills in the arms.

BlueKrono

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 07, 2017, 06:04:06 PM
Perhaps it was based on the idea of infant sauropods being omnivores (speaking of which, does anyone have any proper sources on that? Was there ever anything substantial or was it just an idea that certain documentaries ran with?).

Some of the creature designs were interesting, at least from a sci-fi perspective. I haven't seen the show since it first aired but I recall getting bored of the characters and story, although I was a kid at the time so I really don't remember why.

I would believe that. It always made so much sense to me that sauropods and theropods were related, with Plateosaurus being almost an intermediate. But now that's all changed? Guess that's scientific progress for ya.

As an aside, I've met Stephen Lang. Got my picture taken with him, and gave me a big slap on the back. Super nice guy actually. This was shortly after Avatar, but I was surprised at how skinny he was, and he was shorter than me.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.