News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Pale's artistic endeavors -7/25 update

Started by Paleona, June 27, 2012, 04:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paleona

First off I'd like to say that my drawings are not intended to be the most scientifically accurate, and by no means do I consider myself a "serious paleo-artist".  I simply draw for fun, but I do like to reference skeletons and other restorations to get a basic idea. 

I'll start off with a few things from last year:

A Bambiraptor

I tried to be serious with this Giganotosaurus, but ultimately, the body looks too long and the head too small.  It was a pretty fun experiment, though~

Now, I was really proud of this at the time, but now I can see how fudged it is.  Strangely (scarily?) it looks a lot like the new Schleich Rex...

A much more recent attempt, I wanted to draw a tyrannosaur with down fuzz.  The feet bother me, but it's ok.

And then my most recent drawing, which I am still working on.  I realize the crests above the eyes are ridiculously large, and the feet are also oversized- like I said, not aiming for this to be put next to a paleo article, or in a book.  I'm hoping to give this dude a full background, as well.

Thanks for looking~  ^-^

Blade-of-the-Moon

Interesting style and inaccuracy aside fun looking.

Done any Allosaurs ? ;D

DinoToyForum

Nice work. 8) May I ask what media you used - the last one looks digital?

Paleona

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 27, 2012, 06:36:20 PM
Interesting style and inaccuracy aside fun looking.

Done any Allosaurs ? ;D
Thanks~ and nope, no Jurassic King yet!  I'll have to get around to one.. I'd like to try my hand at a Cryolophosaurus next, maybe.  :))

Quote from: dinotoyforum on June 27, 2012, 11:16:08 PM
Nice work. 8) May I ask what media you used - the last one looks digital?
Thank you  :)  They're actually all digital; after getting a tablet, it's just so convenient that I've barely drawn anything on actual paper.

Jetoar

Good work  ^-^! I like your colors and style and well done with feathered dinosaurs  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Gryphoceratops

Neat style!  Can't wait to see more.

Paleona

Thanks guys!   ^-^  I'm actually shelving the flamingo colored Rex for now, in hopes of a new drawing. 

@Gryphoceratops - thank you very much!  Your art is so lovely, I'm definitely a fan. <3

Paleona

Decided to pull out my actual art supplies and sketch something traditionally... thus, Cryolophosaurus.  :)

Jetoar

Quote from: Paleona on June 28, 2012, 11:50:42 PM
Decided to pull out my actual art supplies and sketch something traditionally... thus, Cryolophosaurus.  :)

Lovely :)! I like your colors in your draw  :)
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Himmapaan

Perhaps I'm biased, but the cryolophosaurus is actually my favourite so far.  :))

Paleona

Quote from: Himmapaan on June 29, 2012, 10:26:57 PM
Perhaps I'm biased, but the cryolophosaurus is actually my favourite so far.  :))

Ironically, that one took me the shortest amount of time to complete... maybe it's a sign that I should step away from digital for a while.  ;)

Himmapaan

Then again, it is only a head, after all. I'd dearly love to see a full length one in pencils just like this.  :D

Metallisuchus

Paleona

Very true, sir Himmapaan.  Hopefully I'll have a full body sketch finished in the near future.  Just have to pick out a dino... ^-^

Thanks, Metallisuchus~

Paleona

Working on another Rex pic... For this one I've been using a mix of markers, pen and pencil.  I kind of wish I had chosen a more interesting color scheme than just green... I guess that just means I'll have to draw another one once this is finished.  ;)  Sadly, the legs are a bit short, as well. 

Arioch

Really liking the design of the Cryolophosaurus. :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Arioch on July 04, 2012, 02:32:05 AM
Really liking the design of the Cryolophosaurus. :)

Same here ! Colors are great too !

Paleona

Thanks guys.  I'm a bit fed up of traditional art, though... I always feel like I'm going to mess it up, and then there's no way out of it. >_<

Here's another rex I sketched up this afternoon.  I'll probably get around to actually shading him sometime.. looks like he's done something wrong, haha.

Himmapaan

Quote from: Paleona on July 15, 2012, 08:25:46 PM
Thanks guys.  I'm a bit fed up of traditional art, though... I always feel like I'm going to mess it up, and then there's no way out of it. >_<
Therein lies the challenge.  ;)

Paleona

I've got a couple new things to show you guys.  I'm finally being a bit more productive.  ^-^

A little tribute to the Atari game Primal Rage:

I'm also a longtime fan of Pokemon- of course the dinosaur inspired Pokemon are my favorites.  ;D  Here's a small pic of Tropius:

I'm starting a series of dinosaur-Pokemon drawings, drawn in a more realistic-ish style:

I used a few images of Diabloceratops as inspiration for this piece, but he's generally just a generic ceratopsid.  ^-^

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: