You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Reptilia polls: most fascinating theropod

Started by Reptilia, August 18, 2017, 02:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one of the following is the most fascinating for you?

Acrocanthosaurus atokensis
1 (3.4%)
Allosaurus fragilis
2 (6.9%)
Archaeopteryx lithographica
1 (3.4%)
Baryonyx walkeri
0 (0%)
Carcharodontosaurus saharicus
0 (0%)
Carnotaurus sastrei
0 (0%)
Ceratosaurus nasicornis
1 (3.4%)
Coelophysis bauri
0 (0%)
Compsognathus longipes
0 (0%)
Cryolophosaurus ellioti
1 (3.4%)
Deinocheirus mirificus
1 (3.4%)
Deinonychus antirrhopus
1 (3.4%)
Dilophosaurus wetherilli
0 (0%)
Gallimimus ballatus
0 (0%)
Giganotosaurus carolinii
1 (3.4%)
Herrerasaurus ischigualastensis
0 (0%)
Megalosaurus bucklandii
1 (3.4%)
Metriacanthosaurus parkeri
0 (0%)
Microraptor zhaoianus
0 (0%)
Oviraptor philoceratops
0 (0%)
Spinosaurus aegyptiacus
2 (6.9%)
Suchomimus teneransis
1 (3.4%)
Tarbosaurus bataar
1 (3.4%)
Therizinosaurus cheloniformis
3 (10.3%)
Torvosaurus tanneri
0 (0%)
Tyrannosaurus rex
6 (20.7%)
Utahraptor ostrommaysorum
2 (6.9%)
Velociraptor mongoliensis
0 (0%)
Yi qi
4 (13.8%)
Yutyrannus huali
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Reptilia

Choose up your favourite. Of course this is a personal selection, if you'd like to choose another one that's not listed here feel free to comment and motivate your choice.

The Atroxious

It's really hard for me to pick, since I find several of the ones on the list fascinating. Therizinosaurus is my personal favorite, since it fits the tough-but-graceful look I like in animals, which makes it fascinating by default. Spinosaurus is another due to its strange, and still mysterious anatomy, and Archeopteryx as well because it's such a well known animal, yet it remains monotypic in archaeopterygidae, and its placement among paravians is so far indeterminate. Some years ago, I probably would have voted Deinocheirus, since the mystery of those arms drove me bonkers, but, well, it't not a mystery anymore.

I'm picking Archaeopteyx due to the fact that it's such a weird animal that displayed what appear to be advanced, birdlike traits earlier than many maniraptoriformes that appear to be more basal.

For that matter, Yi qi would have been a good choice for similar reasons, plus the idea of a bat mimic dinosaur boggles my mind. I just tend to prefer more traditionally birdlike dinosaurs.

ZoPteryx

Such a tough call!  Gonna go with Ceratosaurus, just because it's such a dragonesque looking dinosaur.  Austroraptor is another favorite, it's like a croc, bird, and Velociraptor all rolled into one and supersized!  :))

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.