News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Just a quick question about resizing photos

Started by Joey, December 10, 2017, 07:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey

So recently I've started my own collection thread (http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6298.0), showcasing (so far) only one Playmobil figure. I ran the photo through Post Image and I didn't resize it, and the final photo is fairly small. So the question is: What size would I need to resize the photo, so it would fit in the thread better?

RobinGoodfellow

I'm using Flickr for my collection thread.
Usually my pictures on Flickr are nearly 4000x2800 pixel native (more or less).
Then I can select (by Flickr) a different size for posting them on the Forum.
The maximum resolution I'm using on DTF is 2000 pixel.
Sometimes even smaller resolutions.
Then I add a link to Flickr for full resolution images (if someone wants to see them better..).
:)

Joey

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on December 10, 2017, 07:43:41 AM
I'm using Flickr for my collection thread.
Usually my pictures on Flickr are nearly 4000x2800 pixel native (more or less).
Then I can select (by Flickr) a different size for posting them on the Forum.
The maximum resolution I'm using on DTF is 2000 pixel.
Sometimes even smaller resolutions.
Then I add a link to Flickr for full resolution images (if someone wants to see them better..).
:)
Thank you very much, Robin! ^-^
You've really helped me a lot. I'm going to resize my photo now.

Lanthanotus

I think max resolution shown in images on the forum is 700 pxl width. I use Photoscape (free) for editing and resizing. It's very easy and fast but for sure lacks the fine  and thousandfold possibillities of programs like Photoshop.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Lanthanotus on December 10, 2017, 08:39:33 AM
I think max resolution shown in images on the forum is 700 pxl width.

Yes, you're right.
Higher resolution images are shown with a link over them and it's useful if you want to see a picture better..

An example: the picture is 3804x3672 pixel native (on Flickr).
I'm using the "1600x1545" resizing option by Flickr.

(you can click on link over the frame and zoom in)

The same picture with the "640x618" option:

(..but you can't zoom into frame..)

..and the original link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/24032965837/in/album-72157681955573873/

I think it's convenient..  :P

CityRaptor

I usually resize pictures before uploading them. Can be done with pretty much ever picture editing software. In case you ever wondered about the format, I also cut away non-relevant stuff.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Lanthanotus on December 10, 2017, 08:39:33 AM
I use Photoscape (free) for editing and resizing. It's very easy and fast but for sure lacks the fine  and thousandfold possibillities of programs like Photoshop.
I could strongly suggest GIMP as an extremely powerful (but FREE) photo-editor.
The nearest Photoshop cost-free software available..

DinoToyForum

I've installed code on the forum to automatically resize images larger than 700px wide. This happens only in the browser when the page is loaded, so the image file is technically unchanged. There is no size limit, but the forum has to read the whole image to do this, so large image files will take longer to be processed.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 10, 2017, 12:15:30 PM
There is no size limit, but the forum has to read the whole image to do this, so large image files will take longer to be processed.
That's the reason why I personally couldn't suggest to anyone to link pictures greater than 1600/2000 pixel...  it takes a lot to be processed on older computers.  :)

tyrantqueen

I just use MSPaint to resize photos. 1000 px is fine. I don't need a batch resizer because I don't take a great deal of photos.

QuoteIt's very easy and fast but for sure lacks the fine  and thousandfold possibillities of programs like Photoshop.

Using an expensive piece of software like Photoshop for just resizing photos seems a bit like overkill for me.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 10, 2017, 01:30:30 PM
I just use MSPaint to resize photos. 1000 px is fine. I don't need a batch resizer because I don't take a great deal of photos.

QuoteIt's very easy and fast but for sure lacks the fine  and thousandfold possibillities of programs like Photoshop.

Using an expensive piece of software like Photoshop for just resizing photos seems a bit like overkill for me.

Likewise, on recent macs one can resize images in 'Preview'.

Halichoeres

I don't resize my actual photos, but when I embed them I type [ img width=700] instead of just [ img] (omitting the space between "[" and "img"). Then the browser doesn't have to think about whether to resize the photos and it loads more quickly. 
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.