News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Best materials for shapeways models?

Started by Loon, January 11, 2019, 11:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

I'm looking into getting into shapeways figures, though, mostly small stuff as to stay on the affordable end. Though, I don't know which material would be best to order in.

From what I can tell, these smaller/cheaper models mostly come in that grainy plastic. I'm not really looking to paint them, so I'm wondering which materials are best, as well as which colors are best for detail.

ITdactyl

If you're not looking to paint them, the "Smooth Fine Detail Plastic" displays the best - though expect the price to go up a fair bit.

I only go for their "Natural Versatile Plastic".  You're right in that they are indeed very grainy and not the best for keeping fine details.  From experience, they tend to drink up paint too - I find that painting shapeways models tend to require different techniques from painting regular miniature models.

*edit* The black option (regardless of plastic type and if available) - is IMO the best if you want to keep them unpainted.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.