You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

[LF] UK Based Artists Who'll Custom Paint A Figure

Started by IrritatorRaji, November 02, 2017, 06:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrritatorRaji

I'm still not 100% sure about it, but I'd like to get my Carnegie Spinosaurus repainted since I'm not a fan of its current paint job.

I'm not overly comfortable sending my figure to an artist outside the UK, so I'm looking for UK based artists only ^^

Like I said before, not completely sure what I want yet, I usually base my requests around the style of the artist, so please post pics of other custom painted figures you've done c:
Adding your prices would also be nice :D

amargasaurus cazaui

In the UK there is...Martin Garratt...he is an institution unto himself and talented as you could ever ask or hope for. He has or had a thread here in the forum of his work....but he is good...and works at quite reasonable rates.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on November 02, 2017, 06:28:13 PM
In the UK there is...Martin Garratt...he is an institution unto himself and talented as you could ever ask or hope for. He has or had a thread here in the forum of his work....but he is good...and works at quite reasonable rates.

I've heard of him, but the person who told me about him said he once refused to work on a figure because he didn't like the figure itself which I find kinda.... off? Kinda weird?

amargasaurus cazaui

I personally suggest just discussing things directly with Martin and Marilyn, but I will offer this bit of insight. I own no less than perhaps 50 pieces done by Martin...often rebuilt, repaired, customized, based, or just given the use of some harsh language. He has bent over backwards to accommodate my often odd rquests and worked with models as diverse as my Creature from the Black lagoon, a custom created Turok son of stone diorama, and even custom 3d printed files of dinosaurs no one else has ever seen before. And right down the center, I have had him do repaints of half the Carnegie Line, many vintage and ooutdated models, and even resin pieces . I stand by my recommendation. He is solid...and a pro.
  There is also another quite talented artist that is outside the UK named copper I highly recommend....she does some amazing work as well. I haven't heard much from her lately but very talented.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on November 02, 2017, 06:34:41 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on November 02, 2017, 06:28:13 PM

I've heard of him, but the person who told me about him said he once refused to work on a figure because he didn't like the figure itself which I find kinda.... off? Kinda weird?

I think that was me (it was the Papo Baryonyx). It is disappointing, but I guess you can't force him to work on something if his heart isn't in it.

I do believe that Martin Garratt has a lot of happy customers. There is a good chance he will take your custom on (especially if it's not Baryonyx, since he may be picky about that species, lol)

IrritatorRaji

Would anyone know how I can contact him? Or where I could find examples of his work?

ceratopsian

One of the best places to see lots of examples of his work is to trawl through postsaurischian's thread, Beautiful Dinosaur Mix.  You will find it in Collections.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: ceratopsian on November 02, 2017, 09:22:53 PM
One of the best places to see lots of examples of his work is to trawl through postsaurischian's thread, Beautiful Dinosaur Mix.  You will find it in Collections.

Cheers, I'll go look for it now.

IrritatorRaji

Tried my best to look for means of contact but I can't find him on any website with recent activity. Doesn't look like he's been online for a long time.

Any other UK based artists?

amargasaurus cazaui

He has a thread right here in the forum...he is still active in the dinosaur community,, he just has enough work  to keep him busy without constantly posting .

http://baryonyx-walkeri.deviantart.com/

LSC

Go to facebook, find Martin Garratt with a dino profile and send him a msg.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on November 02, 2017, 06:41:32 PM
  There is also another quite talented artist that is outside the UK named copper I highly recommend....she does some amazing work as well. I haven't heard much from her lately but very talented.

I can highly suggest Mr. Garratt as a fantastic painter/artist but I surely can't do the same with Copper.
Probably she is talented but also she is not a reliable person to deal with.
I'm still waiting for an expensive Shapeways figure I sent to her on 2015.
I paid her work in advance as requested  but I haven't receveid the figure nor a refund yet.
Also she doesn't answer to emails.
The worst experience with a DTF member at all....  >:(

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on November 04, 2017, 06:45:21 AM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on November 02, 2017, 06:41:32 PM

I can highly suggest Mr. Garratt as a fantastic painter/artist but I surely can't do the same with Copper.
Probably she is talented but also she is not a reliable person to deal with.
I'm still waiting for an expensive Shapeways figure I sent to her on 2015.
I paid her work in advance as requested  but I haven't receveid the figure nor a refund yet.
Also she doesn't answer to emails.
The worst experience with a DTF member at all....  >:(

Wow, did not know that about Copper at all. Thanks for the advice.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.