News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

My Carnegie collection, by Juju

Started by juju1305, July 29, 2012, 10:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juju1305

Here is my Carnegie collection (still growing of course).

All the figures up to the pachycephalosaurus were purchased in the late 80s/early 90s in Germany. Back then, these were distributed by Schleich. And honestly, some of these are still way better than some of the current Schleich figures  >:D

Allosaurs with two different paint jobs. The grey one was the original one. I like it better thank the gree/black one.

Dimetrodon and pteranodon.

Protoceratops nest and deinonychus pack. Two based figures. The leader of the pack lost an arm in battle  :-[

Stegosaurus and baby apatosaurus

Original grey apatosaurus.

The glorious original diplodocus.

My all-time favorite, brachiosaurus.

Euoplocephalus and triceratops.

The epic retro-style spinosaurus (love the colors) and parasaurolophus.

I like that the Pachycephalosaurus is based (and not a tripod figure). Cool corythosaurus figure (though too shiny and glossy)

This anlylosaurus is imo one of the best Carnegie's. And so is the beipiasaurus (despite the tripod trick)

Fabulous dilong and giganotosaurus. In both cases, i dislike the fact that they are tripod-figures.

Glorious revamp of the diplodocus.

Perfect ichtyosaur and tylosaur. Can't say much about these two, I love them.

The miragaia is a stunning figure. The oviraptor is great too but that's yet another tripod figure.

Epic microraptor.

I love the Carnegie collection. I regret that they stopped sticking to the 1:40 scale. I loved that all animals were originally in the same scale. My biggest concern is the tripod aspect of bipedal figures. It is so annoying. Papo, Bullyland and collectA have a bunch of bipedal figures that stand well (of, some of the CollectA's are shaky) and now some bipedal figures are being released under the Safari brand and stand fine. I really hope that new releases of the Carnegie collection will get that issue under control. To me it's really the only downside of this collection (ok, that and -please don't hit me- the T-rexes. I don't like them...).

Seijun

Very nice collection :) For me, I will always love tripod over biped. Bipeds are often given ugly oversized feet to help them stand, or oddly splayed legs. Sometimes the figure won't stand anyway due to the legs being warped, which happens very easily. Bipeds are also not very nice from a play-perspective. A biped will not stand up on carpet even if it is very stable on a flat surface. Tripods on the other hand, will usually stand even if the legs are warped. They will stand on carpets, uneven surfaces, and non-level surfaces. Unlike a biped, they usually wont topple over at the slightest bump. My bipeds are always falling and knocking over the dinosaurs next to them. The few bipeds I own will live out most of their life laying on their sides, or leaning against a quadruped so they don't fall over and hurt themselves or others.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

juju1305

Quote from: Seijun on July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 PM
Very nice collection :) For me, I will always love tripod over biped. Bipeds are often given ugly oversized feet to help them stand, or oddly splayed legs. Sometimes the figure won't stand anyway due to the legs being warped, which happens very easily. Bipeds are also not very nice from a play-perspective. A biped will not stand up on carpet even if it is very stable on a flat surface. Tripods on the other hand, will usually stand even if the legs are warped. They will stand on carpets, uneven surfaces, and non-level surfaces. Unlike a biped, they usually wont topple over at the slightest bump. My bipeds are always falling and knocking over the dinosaurs next to them. The few bipeds I own will live out most of their life laying on their sides, or leaning against a quadruped so they don't fall over and hurt themselves or others.

You're right. But some of the tripods look so unnatural to me. Of course, for playability, there's no discussion, a stable figure is better. I can get along with the oversized feet if they're rally well made (like Papo's allosaurus). CollectA has a few bipedal figures without oversized feet that stand really well.

Gwangi

I have no preference for bipeds or tripods, as long as the figure is well made. They both have their merits as Seijun mentioned in the case of the tripods. The major draw of the bipeds is that they're more accurate provided they don't have over sized feet of course.
Thanks for sharing your Carnegie collection. I love the old grey Apatosaurus and Allosaurus, so much nicer than the greens. The Corythosaurus for its age is still a really nice figure and one of my favorite hadrosaur toys. The Ankylosaurus is a favorite for me as well. I don't care much for the Microraptor though, never have. I know it is a popular model. The other feathered dinosaurs are fantastic though.

juju1305

Quote from: Gwangi on July 30, 2012, 03:07:32 AM
I have no preference for bipeds or tripods, as long as the figure is well made. They both have their merits as Seijun mentioned in the case of the tripods. The major draw of the bipeds is that they're more accurate provided they don't have over sized feet of course.
Thanks for sharing your Carnegie collection. I love the old grey Apatosaurus and Allosaurus, so much nicer than the greens. The Corythosaurus for its age is still a really nice figure and one of my favorite hadrosaur toys. The Ankylosaurus is a favorite for me as well. I don't care much for the Microraptor though, never have. I know it is a popular model. The other feathered dinosaurs are fantastic though.

:) I see the corythosaurus as a kind of transitionnal figure between the retro Carnegies and the modern one. It looks great alongside the new figures, one wouldn't believe it dates back to 1996.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.