You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Help with finding a vending machine Protoceratops toy/line/maker $ reward

Started by damianlz, September 21, 2017, 11:13:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

damianlz

Okay I know how this seems for a first time poster but after roughly 20 years of searching I wanted to stop lurking and finally see if anyone can help. I apologise if this should be in another thread.

About 20-25 years ago my mother gave me a few dollars to buy a vending machine dinosaur toy. It was a tiny Protoceratops, barely 2cm long. It was Green and was cast in a crescent pose, almost like it was wrapped around a nest. I CHERISHED this thing and owned it until last year when it was lost in a fire or i'd have pictures. I wanted it for my son and I had always wondered about the other dinosaurs I never got to see. I can draw a picture from memory if it helps and I am happy to answer any questions.

No joke though, if someone can help me find info on this thing and any other pictures or even another one I will happily paypal you $20 and you can call me on this forum for it.

Regards
Damo

Roselaar

Does not ring a bell. There's a few Protoceratops toys of the specified size, but I have never seen one in such a specific pose...

tyrantqueen

I thought maybe the Kaiyodo Protoceratops, which had a green variant, but that might be too high end for what you're describing (and too big).

Can you give us some more details? What was the sculpting like?

Lanthanotus

As there's literally hundreds of "no name" dinosaur figurines for dollar bags, vending machines or surprise eggs/bags, I also wanted to ask for some more details, for example which country we are talking of? America? Europe? Also, is it sure the species was a "Protoceratops", did it look like that or was it somehow labelled? Was it made of solft or hard plastic, unicolor or painted? Just as an example, this "Styracosaurus" is easily recognizable as something different and derives from a chocolate surprise egg from 40 years ago.

Good luck finding what you're looking for,.. I myself am looking for a pterosaur figure since decades, but I never saw it in any of the hundreds of dino lots and such I looked through (well, that's honestly not ment to disappoint you, I am sure you'll find help here :)).

damianlz

Hey all ,

Thanks for the replies, I wont lie I am not expecting much but if I didnt ask I think id honestly never live it down. It was soft /rubbery plastic. Not so soft to be bendy but certainly not hard plastic. I am in Australia and it was 100% protoceratops as there were no horn/face indications that made me think otherwise. I have attached a little sketch I did from memory, bare in mind it was barely an inch in size. The circled spot is the top down 'pose' that it had. From memory the bottom had just the word china on it.

Edit by Admin - broken photobucket image deleted. C:-)

Lanthanotus

Unfortunatly, photobucket won't allow 3rd party linking anymore if you not sign up for a costly account.... try uploading via another host :) (I use directupload.net, but there's lot of others...)

damianlz

Thanks for letting me know, I had no idea they had changed. Link here

https://imgur.com/a/9WIQW

Roselaar

damianlz

Digibasherx

Do you know if it's a monoclonius or a protoceratops?  Was it something like this line: http://www.littleweirdos.net/2016/08/dino-toys-with-candy-eggs-topps-1988.html?  I had these back in the 80's and they were fairly hard plastic.

How big was it, colour (solid plastic, or painted) and if it was detailed or not?

edit:  Do you know if it was dino brites, like this protoceratops: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-raUGPXvvPkY/T0GfhxlyWjI/AAAAAAAAAE8/0Z6HWnP2lx8/s1600/dinobrites01.jpg?

damianlz

OH MAN that first link was a nostalgia trip. I remember buying a bunch of those and hating the candy but wanting only the toy.

Damn I thought it was so close, the protoceratops dinobrite isnt it and the monocelonius has ALMOST the right pose but that isnt it and i am 100% it had no horn. But thank you, thank you so much for that help.

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Digibasherx

Quote from: damianlz on September 23, 2017, 02:05:20 PM
OH MAN that first link was a nostalgia trip. I remember buying a bunch of those and hating the candy but wanting only the toy.

Damn I thought it was so close, the protoceratops dinobrite isnt it and the monocelonius has ALMOST the right pose but that isnt it and i am 100% it had no horn. But thank you, thank you so much for that help.

No problem, I love a good mystery and I found so many figures that I've seen but long forgotten :).

SommoDracorex

Hi, I guess I understand what you're looking for, just give me some time for the photo!

damianlz

He Sommo, sorry no that's not it. The closes was that red monocelonius. I'm beginning to think this is an unknown company

Roselaar

I don't suppose it was a Panosh figure?:

http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/panosh.htm

Doesn't hurt to dig deeper into that site's archives though, who knows...

Halichoeres

Except for the pose, it almost sounds like the Henkel/Ovomaltine/Yoplait Protoceratops:

http://www.mokarex.fr/henkel_uk.html

The only other things I can think of are the little Diener erasers or Transmutazors, but neither of those sounds like the right pose either.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Digibasherx

damianlz

Hey all,

DW I check this frequently, and thank you all soooo much for your replies but still not quite there yet., This was the closest http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6058/6358995415_422829a029_b.jpg but there was 100% no horn

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: