You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur parasites trapped in 100-million-year-old amber tell blood-sucking stor

Started by Sinornis, December 14, 2017, 09:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinornis

Just came across this remarkable story! Dinosaur parasites trapped in 100-million-year-old amber tell blood-sucking story. I guess most paleontologists are now hanging out at the amber markets in Myanmar!

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/12/171213104735.htm

Photo credit by papers author.

http://avianmusing.blogspot.com/

CityRaptor

I expect to see some comments about cloning dinosaurs from the uneducated public once the media gets wind of it.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

ZoPteryx

Really fascinating!  It's awesome how they were able to tell that these parasites were most likely in a nest at some point because of the associated beetle parts.

Ravonium

QuoteI expect to see some comments about cloning dinosaurs from the uneducated public once the media gets wind of it.

I wonder if this problem could be solved by quoting this article here:

QuoteThe scenario may echo the famous mosquito-in-amber premise of Jurassic Park, although the newly-discovered tick dates from the Cretaceous period (145-66 million years ago) and will not be yielding any dinosaur-building DNA: all attempts to extract DNA from amber specimens have proven unsuccessful due to the short life of this complex molecule.

Anyways, I think this dino-tick is a good amber discovery.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.