News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Playful Home Ichthyosaurus

Started by sauroid, December 25, 2017, 10:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

is this Ichthyosaur a bootleg of an existing figure? the paint job is familiar (and good). for me it looks good and planning to buy it. and what Ichthyosaur species do you think it is?

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

DinoToyForum

That is the Playful Home Ichthyosaurus. It is an oversized bootleg of the mini Schleich ichthyosaur. I have discussed this on the dinotoyblog channel (although in the unboxing video I didn't make the connection, I compare the two direcly in a later video) :)

https://youtu.be/4CuGdEKZGHY

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

stargatedalek

It's not a bootleg, it's a deliberate copy, big difference. This isn't just a recast of the Schleich Ichthyosaurus it's a completely new sculpt that used the Schleich sculpt as a reference.

PhilSauria

Had this one for a few months now, makes an inexpensove and colourful addition to the marine fauna shelf. Seems pretty easy to find on a couple of the Asian retail sites.

Joey

Quote from: PhilSauria on December 25, 2017, 11:09:02 PM
Had this one for a few months now, makes an inexpensove and colourful addition to the marine fauna shelf. Seems pretty easy to find on a couple of the Asian retail sites.
Or EBay

sauroid

got mine from taobao lol (in transit). i wonder if it is as vibrantly painted in person as the stock/promo pics.

DinoToyForum

I found it on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2BUl2I8

The MagiDeal seller's dinosaurs seems to consist almost entirely of knock-offs.

DC

Could be a new Recur and if so it is done in the new soft plat style. That paint reminds me of the Chap Mei figure which came out before the Schleich figure.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

DinoToyForum

Quote from: DC on December 29, 2017, 08:02:49 PM
Could be a new Recur and if so it is done in the new soft plat style. That paint reminds me of the Chap Mei figure which came out before the Schleich figure.

It is definitely a copy of the mini Schleich Ichthyosaurus, done in the same style as Recur, but by a different company (Playful Home):

The Schleich for comparison:

sauroid

i finally received the Playful Home Ichthyosaurus and i'm quite satisfied with it.
an enlarged copy (12 cm.) of the Schleich mini Ichthyosaurus yes, but this one is soft like RECUR, and i wouldn't really consider it a bootleg or knock-off.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.