News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Repairing Shapeways 3d Printed models

Started by ITdactyl, January 09, 2018, 09:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITdactyl

Hey Team,

'Just wanted to know if anyone here has tried repairing or even remodeling 3d printed figures (particularly those from Shapeways).

I realized instead of chucking my Shapeways collection (that were destroyed by visiting children) - I ought to repair them instead.  I've been staring at the jigsaw puzzle remains for months now - I think I'm over the angry frustration. ;D

Does regular super-glue work?  Or should I try a different adhesive?
What's a good filler for missing parts? (I have a stegosaur that'll look like a cracked egg because of missing bits from the side of its ribcage) 
Has anyone tried using putty with Shapeways figures?

Thanks in advance for any advice/input.

tyrantqueen

It depends on the material.

I have had luck repairing FUD material with cyanoacrylate.

For seam lines and cracks, model filler works OK. I like Vallejo's Plastic Putty. Anything larger needs epoxy putty.

ITdactyl

*takes notes*

Thanks for the advice TQ.

Time to shop for some Vallejo plastic putty...

danmalcolm

I've used crazy glue a couple of times with no noticeable seams. Quick and easy.

Doug Watson

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 09, 2018, 04:17:31 PM
I have had luck repairing FUD material with cyanoacrylate.

Funny since I have never done any 3D printing and in these days of the chat acronyms when I saw FUD I immediately tried to figure out what it would mean. I found out it is an actual term for the material but also in my twisted mind it also works well in describing what happened to your dinosaurs.  F___ Up Dino  >:D

ITdactyl

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 01, 2018, 06:50:43 PM
F___ Up Dino  >:D

Well, in a sense, they were.  But I'm almost done repairing them.  ;D

tyrantqueen

QuoteF___ Up Dino  >:D
Got to admit that made me laugh. But I would never use such colourful metaphors :P

Doug Watson

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 02, 2018, 10:58:11 AM
QuoteF___ Up Dino  >:D
Got to admit that made me laugh. But I would never use such colourful metaphors :P

Glad I could make you laugh, we colonials can be a bit rough. :D

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.