You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

1/8 Running T. rex model, inspired by TLW:JP Maquette - IMAGE HEAVY

Started by Vampire, June 04, 2021, 04:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vampire

Morning, everyone. As discussed a bit in my Classified ad, I had been attempting to obtain a version of that original running male/bull/buck T. rex maquette that seems to be oh so, elusive. The only option I really had to buy one is from Dino Dream, where I was quoted $3,000 for one in 1/16th scale. I'm doing okay financially, but there is no way I could comfortably make that kind of exchange for one of my hobbies. So I decided to go another route.

I hooked up with a few people in my art/hobby circles, and met a very kind person who just coincidentally finished building a very nice JP inspired rex model, and I worked with them to repose and slightly alter the model to resemble the male (with the thicker neck/skin) running maquette! I then handed off the model to my 3D printer, who I work with on many projects (mainly cosplay), and they are printing the figure as we speak in a approx 1/8th scale! On to a few images of this project, and I'll go over the total cost after.

Inspiration;
Original;

Dino Dream version

Our model

Scale reference (these are by Geene Models/Galileo Hernandez)

Image 2

So far this project has cost me $210.00 USD. I have someone in mind who could paint it, but I am curious about trying myself (I do have experience with painting models, however its been a few years lol). I'll keep everyone posted on the progress. What choice I make on colors, who and how I get it painted, etc. The next candidate for another model in this scale will probably be the JPIII Spinosaurus, which will be even bigger than this guy in this scale!

Doug Watson

Looks good, its amazing the technology that is available to the enthusiast these days.

Vampire

Absolutely!

Here's an update on the printing progress;

We actually started out with it being a bit too small.

But after some resizing it's looking much better. :)

Vampire

:)

Now to gather tools and prepare to paint, once it arrives.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.