News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Who painted this?

Started by tyrantqueen, September 03, 2012, 10:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Does anyone know who painted these tyrannosaurs? They look so life like as though you could reach out and touch the animals.

The style looks vaguely similar to Zdenek Burian but is far too modern to be his artwork :/

caspakian

Gurney, the dinotopia artist. I agree about the art. I think it is the pool that the dino is drinking from that makes it look so realistic.

tyrantqueen

QuoteGurney, the dinotopia artist. I agree about the art. I think it is the pool that the dino is drinking from that makes it look so realistic.
Thanks!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Beautiful piece by Mr. Gurney..would love to have a large poster print of it.. ;D

mmfrankford

I second that. Wonderful colors.

juju1305

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 03, 2012, 10:36:41 PM
Does anyone know who painted these tyrannosaurs? They look so life like as though you could reach out and touch the animals.

The style looks vaguely similar to Zdenek Burian but is far too modern to be his artwork :/

This was painted by James Gurney.

Seijun

I love the nervous herd of trics in the background!
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Jetoar

I like it  ^-^. Good colors and good scene. I think the same that Seijun: Trics are a good ad  ;D.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

juju1305

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 03, 2012, 10:36:41 PM

you're spot on with your comment. While being modern from a postural/anatomical perspective, the color choices, the palette, the overall picture feel is reminiscent of the work of Zdenek Burian. This guy was a genious. I'm a friend of Alain Beneteau who is a wonderful paleoartist and he told me that Burian was the one who gave him the desire to draw prehistoric life. Here is the link to his site in case you don't know him http://paleospot.com/

I think that if Burian was alive today, with the current level of knowledge about extinct animals, his art would be miles ahead of anything else. He was so good, his paintings so vibrant, so unique.

Gryphoceratops

James Gourney is amazing.  He is a fantastic painter all around.  I highly recommend looking him up if you haven't seen some of his other work.