You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

First ever repaint! (Papo Archaeopteryx knockoff)

Started by Archosauria, May 26, 2018, 03:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archosauria

Hey all! I am very excited to share my first ever customized figure!

You may remember me saying I found a cheap ($2) knockoff of Papo's Archaeopteryx on Aliexpress awhile back. I don't typically support buying knockoffs but I have always really wanted to repaint the Papo Archaeopteryx, however I did not want to pay $25 for the model just to give it a repaint.

Anywho, I got the figure a few days ago in the mail and I've just now gotten around to repainting it.
I am very pleased as to how it turned out!
Archaeopteryx is one of the few extinct animals we know the coloration of. We know from melanosomes preserved in an Archaeopteryx feather that the animal was black, so I painted the model as such.
It took about three hours in total to paint, but I think it looks really nice, especially for this being my first time painting a model. 

I think the more accurate color scheme really makes the sculpt "pop-out".
I didn't repaint all of the figure though. I liked how the blue paint on the wings looked so I kept it, and I didn't know what to do with the red crest atop its head. I also have yet to repaint the dopey looking eyes. I think they look ridiculous, but I don't know what to do with them yet.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/163868565@N07/albums/72157695543033191

Tell me what you think!  ;D
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

Dilopho

That looks lovely! I like the blue patches on the wings!

I think you should go with red eyes and give 'em nice big pupils.

Mini Minmi

I love your choice of colors. I mean where you chose to stop the black on the wings and tail and left some contrasting white and the blue. I agree it looks much better like this.

SidB

That's how Papo should have painted it in the first place. Nice work.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.