You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Antarctic Dinosaurs at the Field Museum, Chicago (image heavy)

Started by Halichoeres, July 06, 2018, 02:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Last month I was back in Chicago for a couple of weeks, and my visit coincided with the opening of a new (temporary) exhibit at the Field Museum. It's called "Antarctic Dinosaurs," but it's not exclusively dinosaurs (and of course, if you ask me, dinosaurs aren't even the most interesting part). I'm not much of a picture taker, but here are a few shots I got of the exhibit. Highly recommended if you're in the area, and maybe even worth a special trip--Chicago is easy and cheap to get to. Photos beneath the spoiler tag:
Spoiler

A little section on how Antarctic and African fossils helped provide evidence for plate tectonics. The top row represents fossils from South Africa, the bottom row ones from Antarctica. Left to right: Glossopteris, Lystrosaurus, and Thrinaxodon.

A life size model of the Triassic temnospondyl Antarctosuchus

Fossils of the skull and mandible of the Triassic temnospondyl Kryostega:

Two unnamed sauropodomorphs have been discovered in Early Jurassic rocks. Here's a skeletal reconstruction with a lot of gaps filled in from other species:

Known hindlimb elements: one big one and one little one.

And a herd of the small one. The three in the foreground are models, the rest are a background mural.

Also from the early Jurassic: fragments of pterosaurs and almost-mammals.

The star of the show: Cryolophosaurus.

And some of the actual fossils as they were prepared in matrix. I don't think any of these are casts, because the Field Museum houses the holotype.

head:

vertebrae:

pelvis:

limb elements:

Some stuff from the Cretaceous, too, like this Enchodus jaw:

And a Taniwhasaurus. This might be a cast, as I think the specimen is housed in Argentina, although the Field Museum has certainly borrowed Argentine material before.

They didn't get the memo on tail flukes, I guess.

The gift shop, surprisingly, had some CollectA figures as souvenirs: Cryolophosaurus, Mosasaurus as a stand-in for Taniwhasaurus, and Daxiatitan as a stand-in for a fragmentary titanosaur. It's a pity they couldn't get the Battat Cryolophosaurus, but what're you gonna do.
[close]
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Jose S.M.

Great photos, the live reconstructions look very nice, specially the Antarctosuchus and Cryolophosaurus.

Neosodon

Some neat reconstructions. The background mural and lighting makes it even cooler.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Syndicate Bias

The papo Cryo has such an elongated skull, this further proves to me people are too lazy to google something like this to have an accurate skull.

Nice exhibition though, i live fairly near so maybe i might go depending on how long the exhibit will stay...

Halichoeres

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on July 07, 2018, 04:51:45 AM
The papo Cryo has such an elongated skull, this further proves to me people are too lazy to google something like this to have an accurate skull.

Nice exhibition though, i live fairly near so maybe i might go depending on how long the exhibit will stay...

Do it!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.